Evo rock skins install, help?

DKjeep

Ok, so I go the rock skins and tire carrier on Monday of this week. I have been attempting to install the rock skins with zero success. I read through every install thread I could possibly find including several from this site. I have a shit ton of clamps, a nice heavy duty strap I'm using around the rear fender, and an extra set of hands. I cut out portions of the tail light hole in the body as there are a couple of high points on it mainly where the stock tail light screws in. I have fitted and fitted and they just don't wanna go. The main area I am having issues is at the top in the rear. That gap will not under any circumstance get below between 1/2" and 3/4" inch. This seems a bit much to me? I knew going it it was gonna be a bitch of an install as I had read most of these threads up front and the instructions have a disclaimer upfront about this. I saw all of that prior to purchase. I love the look of the tire carrier and will not ditch it but I am starting to wonder if anyone has ever installed this carrier on anyone elses corners? This is hands down the poorest fitting product I have ever attempted to fit on my jeep. Its like they didn't even attempt to try to get it cosmetically fitting right. If there was a piece that fit the gap up top I would be fine with it but a damn near 3/4" gap is too much and you can see where the cutting was done with it sticking out that far.

Suggestions?

catahoula

Caught the Bug
It's a bitch Dawg! I used several clamps and two ratchet straps. Attach them to each bottle opener. Put clamps into filler holes. And rear holes. Clamp right with heavy duty metal c clamps ...not wood plastic clamps. Message if need anything. I get off. . Work that is a little after 9.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
^^ What Catahoula said. Its gonna be worth it tho. Need to see pics though! We can all help if we can see whats up

DKjeep

Way too beat right now to go back out for pics. I will get some tomorrow when I get off.

One question for those that have been there... is the first hole to the rear on the side of the jeep supposed to be in front of or behind that pinch seam? If I really get after it I can get it in front of the pinch seam but it still leaves the gap over 1/2" up top between the rear of the jeep and where that little plate is welded on. I've pushed, clamped, and beat it so far forward attempting to close that gap that on the passenger side rock skin the part where the hole is for the tail light it's being bent out of shape. Basically the skin can not move any further forward and there is a HUGE gap up top.

I hit my wtf am I doing moment back in November when I decided to take on an LS swap, new bumpers, tire carrier, new front axle and control arms, hydro steer, fuel cell, 100% new brake setup, and 40" treps. I'm so far past wtf am I doing it's moved into I'm a f'n idiot for biting off this much at once.

Andy5160

Hooked
Jerry

I am seriously considering getting my skins and EVO carrier so when I do gues who I am going to run too crying like a little boy not knowing what to do with first errection :cheesy:

Last edited:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I can totally understand where your coming from, your install sounds very similar to mine. Take some photos when you get a chance. The last nutsert hole should be in front of that pinch seam.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Way too beat right now to go back out for pics. I will get some tomorrow when I get off.

One question for those that have been there... is the first hole to the rear on the side of the jeep supposed to be in front of or behind that pinch seam? If I really get after it I can get it in front of the pinch seam but it still leaves the gap over 1/2" up top between the rear of the jeep and where that little plate is welded on. I've pushed, clamped, and beat it so far forward attempting to close that gap that on the passenger side rock skin the part where the hole is for the tail light it's being bent out of shape. Basically the skin can not move any further forward and there is a HUGE gap up top.

I hit my wtf am I doing moment back in November when I decided to take on an LS swap, new bumpers, tire carrier, new front axle and control arms, hydro steer, fuel cell, 100% new brake setup, and 40" treps. I'm so far past wtf am I doing it's moved into I'm a f'n idiot for biting off this much at once.

I have a decent sized gap next to the antenna tab as well. What I ended up doing was doing a couple passes of Black silicone to fill in the gap. I placed the skins so that the hole near the gas can is behind the pinch seam. I used the gas fill as my guide then made small adjustments from there. I too had a point where I was questioning wtf I was doing about 3/4 the way through when some holes weren't lining up lol

Ddays

Hooked
Yeah those pinch seams are a pain in the ass. Seems like the holes are allllllmost missing it but not 100%.

Sent from my iThingie

Ddays

Hooked
Jerry

I am seriously considering getting my skins and EVO carrier so when I do gues who I am going to run too crying like a little boy not knowing what to do with first errection :cheesy:

Haha, bring it Andy!

The skins and carrier I mean. You're on your own with the erection deal.

Sent from my iThingie

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
You think it's hard getting the skins lined up right? Wait until you try to fit the taillights! (Hint: You have to cut out a lot more than you think you'll have to)

Keep in mind that the skins are straight, but the body of the Jeep is not. If you fit it correctly, the skins will actually contour around the curve of the corners.

I'd use 2 ratchet straps as was suggested. One for the top of the skin and another for the bottom corner. If you can get that tight against the body, go ahead and get the nutserts done around the tailgate and work slowly up to the passenger door. You might have to take it slowly and do just a couple at a time. It is worth it at the end, but it was one of the hardest installs I've done on mine. The side skins are a breeze comparatively.

DKjeep

You think it's hard getting the skins lined up right? Wait until you try to fit the taillights! (Hint: You have to cut out a lot more than you think you'll have to)

Keep in mind that the skins are straight, but the body of the Jeep is not. If you fit it correctly, the skins will actually contour around the curve of the corners.

I'd use 2 ratchet straps as was suggested. One for the top of the skin and another for the bottom corner. If you can get that tight against the body, go ahead and get the nutserts done around the tailgate and work slowly up to the passenger door. You might have to take it slowly and do just a couple at a time. It is worth it at the end, but it was one of the hardest installs I've done on mine. The side skins are a breeze comparatively.

I get that they contour a bit but there is only so much it can do that. The skins are trying to make a smooth curve around the back of the jeep in 2 roughly 45 degree bends. Its not going to contour much there. I'm not having any trouble getting them to line up down the side. Actually I can get a pretty nice fit everywhere except that top gap I am referring to. They seem to match the body lines well everywhere else. After looking more at it yesterday I think the entire issue is actually in that top plate. I was out there looking at it and thought to myself, if that plate was off and I could just reposition it to close that gap I would be happy. So I think thats going to be my approach. That plate (antenna plate?) looks to fit the contour of that area perfect so I think I am going to grind the weld out of it and remove it, install the skins, and then place it however I like to close that gap, tack it in place, remove the skin and weld it out. The only kicker is that I got the aluminum skins and will have to have my friend drag his rig over and weld it for me. I need him anyways to weld the brackets for my steering assist.

Ddays

Hooked
I get that they contour a bit but there is only so much it can do that. The skins are trying to make a smooth curve around the back of the jeep in 2 roughly 45 degree bends. Its not going to contour much there. I'm not having any trouble getting them to line up down the side. Actually I can get a pretty nice fit everywhere except that top gap I am referring to. They seem to match the body lines well everywhere else. After looking more at it yesterday I think the entire issue is actually in that top plate. I was out there looking at it and thought to myself, if that plate was off and I could just reposition it to close that gap I would be happy. So I think thats going to be my approach. That plate (antenna plate?) looks to fit the contour of that area perfect so I think I am going to grind the weld out of it and remove it, install the skins, and then place it however I like to close that gap, tack it in place, remove the skin and weld it out. The only kicker is that I got the aluminum skins and will have to have my friend drag his rig over and weld it for me. I need him anyways to weld the brackets for my steering assist.

Hate to say this but it might come down to this:

240300_clr.jpg

Its not so much that the skins are made sloppy, it's the fact that JK's are made relatively sloppy. None of the damn things are the same. I believe the skins are made to tolerances that allow them to fit a range of Jeeps. I filled my top seams with silicone both
to hide the gap and to seal it from water & that salt shit we get on our roads here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom