What roof rack is the best?

tkkim

Aev - i like their simple design
Frontrunner? - seems really well made
Garvin
Goby

And whatever you like.

StrizzyChris

Im interested in one as well, but one that is completely removable and doesn't mount to the tub. I dont like like them being on when not being actively used.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rock-itman

Aev - i like their simple design
Frontrunner? - seems really well made
Garvin
Goby

And whatever you like.

Google pic images for roofracks aev , You may change your mind . The brackets are mounted to your roll cage ( they need to be drillled all the way through the hardtop and protrude way up when top is off ( looks silly ) i love their basket , i tried talking to DAVE and the sales team at AEV , to just sell me a basket , they said NOOOOOOO . So i looked at the Rhino basket w/ a typical permanent mount from thule , a few rivnuts into the top & that plastic sleeve stays so removal is very easy . Also you can adapt any other toys , canoes,bikes etc to the mount . chk it out on thule .com w/ the rhino aluminum basket ( same as AEV ) you may be happier !! goodluck

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
My roof rack is from Wild Boar. Just google Wild Boar roof rack and you'll find it. It is detachable but you do have to put two holes in the rear corners of the jeep. I found plastic hole plugs at Lowes that you can use to put in the holes when the rack is off. I have been pleased with it so far and I really don't take it off when I'm not using it. The top cage flips up so you can mess with your top. Honestly it was a PITA trying to mess with my soft top, but the top wasn't factory and that may have been part of the problem. I love it when I have to haul things, and it makes a good light bar since there are tabs on it. I guess it's a pretty good rack.. It's the only one I've ever had. No noise or rust. The directions were a bit off but otherwise it has stood up to everything I have put it through.

There have been a couple threads here about the Gobi and the Garvin.

IMG_8883.jpg

StrizzyChris

If I'm not mistaken, isnt the wild boar able to flip over into a awning for shade beside the jeep and also up into a projector's movie screen for outdoor theater?

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
If I'm not mistaken, isnt the wild boar able to flip over into a awning for shade beside the jeep and also up into a projector's movie screen for outdoor theater?

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

Yes it can flip over and make a awning. I honestly haven't used it that way because it's a PITA to flip the basket without some sort of assist. The basket raises and lowers easy enough but to flip it you need to disco. gas the shocks then lower it by hand and gravity is not on your side. I fully intend to rig something up to help lower the basket for an awning but just haven't had time to mess with it. A giant projector screen would be easy lol. Good idea! lol

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

my_jk

Screen Shot 2013-02-08 at 8.12.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-02-08 at 8.11.43 AM.png

I really like my Gobi rack it does have a few squeaks, but nothing that can't be fixed. I also really like that it bolts to the frame in the rear and on the front windshield side panel. It has a good load rating of 300LBS in motion and 600LBS not in motion. I would definitely buy this product again.

Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Nice video

That was a really cool video! That guy has a nice tall ceiling in his garage. Must be nice.

For hard top removal with the wild boar I just slide it out the back. I have a few small areas of black paint on the hard top where we rubbed it against the rack putting it on and taking it off but nothing too bad.

Gibbo

I like my Garvin, no squeaks and I can take it on and off easily.

I'm with you buddy, it takes me 45 min on my own to completely remove my garvin off my JK, and the same to put it all back on. Plus it's good for 500lbs moving or not':thumb:

kb3ejw

i've looked into roofracks and storage ideas for the inside of our jku.if i was to go with a rack it would be the frontrunner roofrack.
but i decided to go with a manley trailer.it will give me the interior of my jeep for the daughter and her other half and the puppeis.
good luck in ur choice.

kb3ejw

i've looked into roofracks and storage ideas for the inside of our jku.if i was to go with a rack it would be the frontrunner roofrack.
but i decided to go with a manley trailer.it will give me the interior of my jeep for the daughter and her other half and the puppeis.
good luck in ur choice.

Top Bottom