New Jeep

alf1096

I had an 07 Sahara that was burning oil and even regeared to 5.13s it sucked to drive in hills because of the rpm difference in o/D and 3rd. I found what I thought was a fair deal and out with the old and in with the new. I have been out of the forums and jeep knowledge for a while but my main concern is keeping drivability with the jeep to our Colorado cabin 12 hrs away and I am leaning towards going with a low lift.

Questions

Can I run 35.s with flat fenders only

How does 3.73 gears and 35s match up

Thanks

boardsurfer

Thanks

Yes, but there wont be much room for articulation

3.73 and 35s will leave you frustrated in the mountains. If you are ditching a 3.8 that is regeared to 5.13 because it's a dog, dont put yourself right back in the same situation.

alf1096

When I say it was a dog this was my problem. With the gear it would run about 75 at 2800-2900 rpm and hold it on flat ground with little wind. Now when it needed to down shift it would bump up to approx. 4k in rpm. On the trip we have about 4 hrs of small rolling hills which it would always want to shift and I did not want to turn O/D off because I did not want the jeep running at 4k rpm, just sounded to hard on it.

Now it seems the new transmission is the answer. Right now I run about 3200 in 4th I believe and have no problems running the engine there for long periods of time because it is a higher reving engine and it does not sound like its going to blow up. I am trying to get away with not regearing because if I regear I will probably just go 37s. I regeared my last jeep myself but I really don't want to do it again.

jeeeep

Hooked
I had an 07 Sahara that was burning oil and even regeared to 5.13s it sucked to drive in hills because of the rpm difference in o/D and 3rd. I found what I thought was a fair deal and out with the old and in with the new. I have been out of the forums and jeep knowledge for a while but my main concern is keeping drivability with the jeep to our Colorado cabin 12 hrs away and I am leaning towards going with a low lift.

Questions

Thanks

what's the new?

alf1096

I got a 17 Rubicon the transmission and engine are different than my 07. I have heard different ratios will handle larger tires better.

jeeeep

Hooked
I got a 17 Rubicon the transmission and engine are different than my 07. I have heard different ratios will handle larger tires better.

I wouldn't re-gear more than 4.88 with 35's or 37's with the automatic

I have a 2010 with the 3.8 and running 4.88's with 37's - it does run a bit better with 35's but I can still lock out OD and have manageable rpms - as you found out with 5.13 the RPMS got out of usable range once OD was locked out - IMO it was never a 4 speed, it's a 3 speed with some downhill wind behind the back mystery 4th gear lol

I'm also not a fan of the smaller 5.13 R&P on a D44 even with the PR44 I'm running

I like the 3.6 and auto transmission, I have a 2015 and keep threatening my daughter I may need to start swapping parts over from my 2010 to the '15 lol.

Had you gotten the 4.10's it would've been manageable but still a little high for 35's once you get in the mountains, with 35's or 37's I would use 4.88 max

if it's new enough, you should ask the dealer about swapping out axles or at least re-gearing at cost.

Supercharged

The manual rubi comes with 4.10. If you go automatic it's a 3.73 but for $700 you can upgrade back to 4.10

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
Im from Illinois running 35's on my 15 JKU Willys auto trans with 3.73 so I can guarantee you will hate it in Colorado. I just made a run down to southeast Missouri this weekend and had it kicking down to 3rd on some hills in Missouri with the cruise set at 75. I checked with one of our mechanics around here and he said the best ratio for 35's with the 3.6 motor is 4.56. So I am saving up for that now.

PHX JK

I have a 15 JKU Rubicon with Auto and the 4:10 option,With my 35in Nittos I works well headed up to the Mountains but 4.88 would be optimal
If I had 3:73s Id go to 4.56 or 4.88s. 4.10s are only standard with a Manual trans.
If and when I go 37's then I will go 5:13s. The newer 3.6 is a huge step up over the 3.8's I might get flamed for this
but the 3.8 was a piece of shit engine.
PHX

Last edited:
Top Bottom