Driver's Side Rear Wheel Noise

Oreo

I normally do not ask for help here, but I'm truly stumped. After wheeling this weekend I started to notice a very faint grinding/scraping noise when accelerating from a stop or when moving at slow speeds. I discovered yesterday that the noise becomes very loud when wet. After I sprayed the rotor, caliper, and everything else in between to make sure it wasn't just dried mud stuck somewhere, I noticed that getting the wheel area wet causes the noise to become loud. I do not think it's the diff, I can listen with the windows down and it sounds very close to the wheel. Once up to speed, noise goes away. Any ideas?

Oreo

Maybe a rock stuck in the caliper between that and the rotor. It doesn't take much. My wife's mini even had this happen and thing is never off road.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I couldn't see anything this morning but I'll get under there tomorrow and double check. If this were the case, why would the noise differ when the rotor is wet or dry? That's what I don't understand.

WJCO

Meme King
My guess is the same. Rock or debris got in there. Spin the wheel in the air and try to find it as well.

toyotire

If you were wheeling hard you might have bent one of your rear flanges. I would pull the tire and check the rotor for run out.

madstiles

I would chock the wheels, jack it up, put on jack stands , put in neutral, lay underneath, spin each tire to see which side it's coming from. Once you figure out what side start disassembling that side and every time you take something off spin it again to pin point the sound .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

sajk

Check the rotor front and back

I normally do not ask for help here, but I'm truly stumped. After wheeling this weekend I started to notice a very faint grinding/scraping noise when accelerating from a stop or when moving at slow speeds. I discovered yesterday that the noise becomes very loud when wet. After I sprayed the rotor, caliper, and everything else in between to make sure it wasn't just dried mud stuck somewhere, I noticed that getting the wheel area wet causes the noise to become loud. I do not think it's the diff, I can listen with the windows down and it sounds very close to the wheel. Once up to speed, noise goes away. Any ideas?

On my 2011 I had exactly this problem on that wheel. Turns out that it was a bad rotor and rear side was heavily scored... It made a noise under light breaking and sometimes pulling away. Anything that left the pads just slightly touching the rotor.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
Just had it fixed on my JKU. When I was driving under 20 mph, I would hear this grinding sound OR if I was coming to a complete stop or turned. I started hearing this noise after having tires rotate. The rear brakes needed new pads and one rotar surface needed smoothing out. Front brakes have 80%-90% pads left so those were fine. Funny how the stealership told me I needed new front pads a year ago when I went in for my oil change. :idontknow:

Top Bottom