Gear oil

scrota76

I just added an ARB rear locker and 4.56 gears. Guys at the shop said after the break in period, about 200 miles, they would change the gear oil, and they recommended Royal Purple or Amsoil 75w 90. I got the Amsoil.

Now im finding out the i should be using heavier weight gear oil, i believe 90w 140 or similar.

What do you all think? I know i will get varying opinions on this, im just looking for general consensus.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Someone else can chime in as to the weight for this particular gear ratio. I used 85w140 for 5.13s. For the ARB you want the cleanest Dino oil you can find. No synthetics, and no friction modifiers. They can brake down the o-rings that seal the ARB causing internal leaks, and gear oil forcing its way up through the air system.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Below is a chart from ARB, HOWEVER, Dynatrac recommended to me to use non-synthetic as well as 2 members on this forum who have had issues with synthetic fluid damaging the air seal as stated above. I run the cheapest 85-140 CONVENTIONAL oil that I can find. I also have 4.56s and the shop that just installed my locker last week also recommended the 85-140 weight, and this is coming from a tech who has done many ARB lockers on Jeeps.

Untitled.jpg

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Someone else can chime in as to the weight for this particular gear ratio. I used 85w140 for 5.13s. For the ARB you want the cleanest Dino oil you can find. No synthetics, and no friction modifiers. They can brake down the o-rings that seal the ARB causing internal leaks, and gear oil forcing its way up through the air system.

Good recommendations here by WJCO & Quicksilver. It's getting harder to find conventional oil without any additives in Albuquerque. Almost every brand I encountered said it was good for limited slip or friction modifiers. I might have to order online in the future.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
You will be fine with the 75/90 if you dont tow with your jeep. I personally run the thicker oil just because and I switched to good old dino oil.

Top Bottom