Replacing Coil Springs on a JK

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Hi everyone,
I have a set of 4" evo plush rides sitting in my garage for about 3 weeks now. Hopefully I will make some time soon to get those puppies installed. I am switching form 4.5" Aev coils if that matters....

I know I have to disconnect the shocks and sway bar links and loosen the track bar bolts to allow enough droop.

Is it also necessary to loosen control arms, and would it be a good practice to loosen all 8 of them and re torque everything while switching coils?

Also I hope I won't have to use the spring compressors but I will rent a set just in case I need them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Is it also necessary to loosen control arms, and would it be a good practice to loosen all 8 of them and re torque everything while switching coils?

It won't hurt anything but isn't necessary. A re-torque isn't a bad idea anyways.

Also I hope I won't have to use the spring compressors but I will rent a set just in case I need them.

You should not need those.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I'm not sure about the control arms, but you may have to adjust them. I figure the 4.5" AEV coils yield more lift than specified, and the EVO coils should be more true to their stated height, from what I've read.

When I install coils, I use a write up, like this, as a guide...

https://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-writ...rangler-4-flex-arm-lift-installation-write-up

Thanks for the link,

Aev coils give me about 5-1/4 up front when I measured them based on this
IMG_4226.JPG

Would you know if there is a diagram like this for the rear?

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thanks, I just re torqued everything couple weeks ago. I'll try not to touch control arms if I don't have to.

If you loosen the control arm bolts to get the new coils in, make sure you don't retorque the bolts until you Jeep is sitting on the wheels and the suspension is at normal ride height. In other words, don't retorque with the Jeep on stands and the axles hanging.

zimm

Caught the Bug
If you have a rubi- disconnect the locker harnesses. Unbolt the rear brake line brackets. Take off the rear vent hose. In front, unclip vent hose. Remove the track bar bolts. That should get you enough flex to get the springs out and in. Lower slowly and if they hang up for any reason, stop and look for what's doing it.

J

JKDream

If you have a rubi- disconnect the locker harnesses. Unbolt the rear brake line brackets. Take off the rear vent hose. In front, unclip vent hose. Remove the track bar bolts. That should get you enough flex to get the springs out and in. Lower slowly and if they hang up for any reason, stop and look for what's doing it.

If his springs don't unseat during regular flexing on the trail then he'll have to remove the shocks to get enough drooop. Shocks are nine times out of ten the stopping point for downtravel in your axle, not the track bar.

** To the OP: I've never had to take off more than the swaybar and shocks to pull springs. That should give you enough down travel to pull the springs.
You shouldn't need to loosen control arms as you aren't binding them in any way by the axle moving straight up or straight down - same with the track bar.

Last edited by a moderator:

bouche03

If you have trouble managing to get the coils back in, here is my tried and true method without a coil compressor:

If you have the frame supported by jack stands, the axle will be free to droop, but that may not be enough to get the coils in...what I have done in the past is jack up (with a floor jack) one side, and this allows more droop on the opposite side of the axle, allowing a coil to be installed. Then once one is in, you repeat on the other side...it goes without saying that you should have shocks disconnected during this.

This is what I have been successful with; there are obviously many ways to skin a cat. I'm sure the community here has many other good tricks as well. I always try to have as many tools in the toolbox (my head) as possible and the forum is great to learn new ways of doing things that you might have been doing differently.

Nick

Top Bottom