Pro Rock Questions & A Scary Experience

J

JKDream

Well, I have had quite the interesting day.
My Jeep has been driving quite odd for awhile - which I just chalked it up to my horrible MTR's.
Fast forward to a couple weeks ago - I picked up a brand new set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers (which are amazing I may add).
It got quite a bit better in terms of driving, but I could tell something still seemed weird.
High speeds just felt super flighty and not normal. And not like a lack of caster flighty (I have 4*) but just unsafe.
So I brought the JK home today and figured I'd check some joints and torque a few bolts.
Upon checking my balljoints - it turns out all four of my Synergys are toast, I've had them on for probably 20,000km.
So that sucks, and I figured that's probably where my issue was...

Here's where it gets really sketchy. So that junkyard housing that I've been running for the better half of a year; the one that's trussed and gusseted?
I've always been a bit skeptical of how well it would hold up seeing it was already compromised in an accident - but every check I could possibly do upon building it lead me to believe it would hold up.
It did not.. whatsoever. As I was checking the balljoints today - I noticed something weird with the truss; something seemed to move out of the corner of my eye.
Turns out, the entire tube separated from the housing. The only thing holding it somewhat in place was the truss..
As I lowered the Jeep down from the jack, I could actually see the tube bending upwards until the truss jammed into the center section.
Had I not caught this, it likely would have separated from the cast and resulted in a pretty gnarly accident.
I'm not posting this to get flamed, but rather have someone learn from experiences that sometimes it really is expensive to be cheap.

So, obviously I am in the market for a new housing (lol) - I had a couple questions regarding the Pro Rock I just put a deposit on.
I'll be reusing my factory internals, the main thing I'm wondering is regarding the unlimited housing and control arms.
I'm running JKS fixed length lowers, from what I understand this would result in too much caster correct?
Also - I'll be doing the install, with that said, what do these axles generally weigh in comparison to the OEM 44?
It is going to be a bear with a floor jack to locate it into position?

WJCO

Meme King
CALL Dynatrac. Talk to Steve. You can get the unlimited housing with factory caster and still have the .500 tubes. The axle is heavy as shit but I did it fairly easy with a helper. 2 floor jacks rolled it fine. FedEx dude said the entire axle with crate was 450 lbs (mine was fully built wheel end to wheel end with all internals installed). Get the upper bolts in first then the lowers, The rest is basic installation.

Sorry to hear about your old axle, but glad you caught it before you became a statistic.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Wow! that's crazy. Glad you caught it.

But I am going to call it now...somewhere, sometime in the future somebody will use this story as justification for trussing an axle. :yup:

"Bro I'm totaling putting a truss on...I heard about this guy who's whole axle was about to fall apart, but the truss held it together and saved his life." :cheesy:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Pro Rock Questions & A Scary Experience

Wow, glad you caught that in time too. As far as the install goes, I installed my PR44 in my driveway using a floor jack and bottle jack. I wheeled it into place once I had jeep set up on jack stands. It wasn't bad at all. If you can swing it, get the prosteer ball joints installed too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Wow! that's crazy. Glad you caught it.

But I am going to call it now...somewhere, sometime in the future somebody will use this story as justification for trussing an axle. :yup:

"Bro I'm totaling putting a truss on...I heard about this guy who's whole axle was about to fall apart, but the truss held it together and saved his life." :cheesy:

Haha I thought about that too while writing the post. While it MAY have helped hold the tube in place, it certainly did fuck all to prevent it from bending.

Wow, glad you caught that in time too. As far as the install goes, I installed my PR44 in my driveway using a floor jack and bottle jack. I wheeled it into place once I had jeep set up on jack stands. It wasn't bad at all. If you can swing it, get the prosteer ball joints installed too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I figured it would be pretty straight forward. I did the initial install in the driveway but I'd be doing the ProRock partially solo.
Was able to lift the oem axle and move it around but I don't think that'll be the case with the new one.
Yeah I ordered it with the ProSteers. Synergy has a warranty but I value my time more.
Doesn't really do me any good if I'm pulling them every two months and they're wearing my expensive tires from camber.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
But trussed factory axles are *supposed to be* super strong? Better than everything else, and can handle 40s no problem? I'm confused? Did you forget to add the magical fairy filler rod while welding everything together?

Sarcasm aside, glad you caught it! Could have been MUCH worse.

aermotor

:Wide Eyed and Scare:Wide Eyed and Scare:Wide Eyed and Scare

Wow. Glad you are safe. That sounds REALLY bad.

J

JKDream

But trussed factory axles are *supposed to be* super strong? Better than everything else, and can handle 40s no problem? I'm confused? Did you forget to add the magical fairy filler rod while welding everything together?

Sarcasm aside, glad you caught it! Could have been MUCH worse.

LOL - Clearly it was stronger than a Pro Rock 80 and had I stick welded it instead I could have ran 54" tractor tires :crazyeyes:

Honestly at this point, I don't really know how people try to make that arguement. Even I somewhat bought into it when I was building this thing.

I actually drive my Jeep though, and destroyed the thing in less than four months lol.

:Wide Eyed and Scare:Wide Eyed and Scare:Wide Eyed and Scare

Wow. Glad you are safe. That sounds REALLY bad.

Same here, it's a pretty weird feeling. Had it come completely apart I'd likely be looking at a write off.
Which would suck since I've put a ton of work into this one.

Anyway - I get my Pro Rock next Friday!!!

Top Bottom