Expensive bumpers worth it?

GraniteCrystal

There's quite a price difference between bumpers out there, even among quality brands.

EVO Quarter Pounder - $400 powdercoat included
Screenshot_20170518-222051.jpg

LoD Destroyer - $600 bare steel
Screenshot_20170518-221238-553x343.png

GenRight - $935 bare aluminum
Screenshot_20170518-221637.jpg

I'd love to have the GenRight bumper. But would I be happier with a quarter pounder and an ARB Compressor for the same amount?

This is meant as a general question but I have looked at those 3 specific bumpers.

BobNH

Does the LoD one cover the area presently covered by the plastic "skid"? I assume that is protectoin for the rubi disco and some sort of vacuum thing in newer ones (really dont know) but if the LoD one does replace that plastic thing, it seems that is the best all around of the three. At least that is how I would be thinking of it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Assuming that you're talking about the top tier brands and leaving out the Smittybilts, Extreme Terrains, etc, it really comes down to what style you're looking for. The EVO & LOD you showed will both do the job but which one do you like best? I've never seen an aluminum bumper over here but I wonder how they'd hold up to repeated rock hits? If you're not gonna be in the rocks I thing the aluminum has some advantages. When I was looking for mine I had a short list of wants & don't wants, listed the bumpers I was interested in & worked from there. There are so many choices out there now its crazy.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
The EVO is not just $400. If you want to add d-rings you need to add one or the other...

Shackle kit $100

Stinger $239

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Since I don't have any of them or any of their products but will be going with them when I get a JK... I would probably go with the Evo. I don't know this personally but everything that I have seen the stuff that Evo has put out is awesome stuff! And from what I've seen and heard their support is awesome. I like the looks of the LOD but I think the Evo is built much better. Again not an expert but I have pretty much seen all the WAYALIFE videos and off-road Evolution videos and from what it looks like Mel definitely knows what the hell he's doing and has one hell of a product line. Not saying anybody else doesn't... just a huge fan. I would also be afraid of the genright... just because it is Aluminum even though it looks like it has a steel underlying. Would just be afraid that it would bend eventually... That being said I also like to over engineer the stuff that I make for myself just to make sure it won't break which isn't always a great thing. It usually ends up way heavier than I want it LOL again not an expert but from what I've seen Evo has it down to a science although the LOD does look better

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
I don't know if I'd go that far. Have you seen any of the bumpers in question, in person?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I have seen an EVO quarter-pound bumper period period period I have not seen the LOD. Like I said I am definitely not an expert but I have seen other Evo products in person and I'm just a really big fan of them. It's obviously a personal preference and people that have the stuff are going to be much more valuable as far as input. That's why I wanted​ to make sure I stated that I have none of their products. What do you prefer as far as the Evo or the LOD bumpers?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I have seen an EVO quarter-pound bumper period period period I have not seen the LOD. Like I said I am definitely not an expert but I have seen other Evo products in person and I'm just a really big fan of them. It's obviously a personal preference and people that have the stuff are going to be much more valuable as far as input. That's why I wanted​ to make sure I stated that I have none of their products. What do you prefer as far as the Evo or the LOD bumpers?

The look of a front bumper is personal preference. Some people prefer full width, some mid width, and some like stubbies.

A quarter pounder is as minimalist as they come. I wouldn't say it is built better than an LoD bumper.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
The look of a front bumper is personal preference. Some people prefer full width, some mid width, and some like stubbies.

A quarter pounder is as minimalist as they come. I wouldn't say it is built better than an LoD bumper.

I do like the looks of the LOD bumper better but was not sure about the thickness or build of the LOD. Again just favorable to the Evo built stuff from seeing it but yes it is definitely a minimalist bumper. That's part of the reason why I don't like it. There's no light pockets and it's very simple and obviously it's made to be a stubby so there's not a whole lot of bling or extra on it. That being said when I go to buy one I might have to look into buying an LOD just because I do like the looks of it better. I appreciate the input. Thank you.

Ddays

Hooked
I don't know if I'd go that far. Have you seen any of the bumpers in question, in person?

LOD stuff is awesome - it's one of the top tier brands out there IMHO. The reason I didn't go with the one GraniteCrystal posted above was that the winch isn't recessed. The one I went with is very similar in design but with a recessed winch.

Last edited:

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
LOD stuff is awesome - it'r one of the top tier brands out there IMHO. The reason I didn't go with the one GraniteCrystal posted above was that the winch isn't recessed. The one I went with is very similar in design but with a recessed winch.
Well then I will have to definitely look into there other products when I get a JK. It's all good information to know.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
And to answer granitecrystal's question since I did not do that originally, yes I do believe that you get what you pay for in this instance. It sucks having to pay that much for stuff but it pays off in the end. it's not always the case the more expensive is better but I wouldn't want to cheap out on something as critical as a bumper considering all it does. If you can find a great bumper for a low-cost that's even better. As long as it's built well and looks good to you , it really doesn't matter what you buy.

Robertcrav

I will add price variation has to do with several things like complexity, time to manufacture, material cost, labor cost and demand.... your comparison bumpers aren't apples to apples...they progress in differences of style and complexity

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
LOD stuff is awesome - it's one of the top tier brands out there IMHO. The reason I didn't go with the one GraniteCrystal posted above was that the winch isn't recessed. The one I went with is very similar in design but with a recessed winch.

Your bumper is awesome man!!!! I am still debating on what bumper to choose but the one you run is definitely in my top 3 choices.

GraniteCrystal

I will add price variation has to do with several things like complexity, time to manufacture, material cost, labor cost and demand.... your comparison bumpers aren't apples to apples...they progress in differences of style and complexity

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
I see what you're saying, but in the end, they're all meant to perform the same task as a front bumper. The question is, will a very expensive GenRight bumper perform. It measurably better than a Evo quarter Pounder (metaphorically speaking).

AdrockTT

I do like the looks of the LOD bumper better but was not sure about the thickness or build of the LOD. Again just favorable to the Evo built stuff from seeing it but yes it is definitely a minimalist bumper. That's part of the reason why I don't like it. There's no light pockets and it's very simple and obviously it's made to be a stubby so there's not a whole lot of bling or extra on it. That being said when I go to buy one I might have to look into buying an LOD just because I do like the looks of it better. I appreciate the input. Thank you.

LOD is 1/4" steel and about as thick/durable as any bumper made. Most use 3/8" steel btw. I have a LOD rear bumper and it would take a tank to bend that thing.

Genright makes nice alum parts and this is more directed at those looking to lighten the F/R/side weight distribution more than anything. Also high quality (and can be run bare since it's alum and won't rust, if you prefer the metal look).

Ddays

Hooked
I see what you're saying, but in the end, they're all meant to perform the same task as a front bumper. The question is, will a very expensive GenRight bumper perform. It measurably better than a Evo quarter Pounder (metaphorically speaking).

This one is $629 on their site: It did NOT perform like a front bumper is meant to. So it's not just how much they cost.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431535126.290707.jpg

J

JKDream

I don't really like the idea of an aluminum bumper.
Steel is typically a lot harder, and meant to take a lot more force before bending.
Aluminum is obviously quite a bit softer, but is supposed to "bend back" after it takes a hit.
As cool as that sounds on paper, with something as thick as 3/8 1/4 whatever, I don't think it would be taking the same shape as it originally was.
If it was sheet metal then sure, it probably makes sense. Just my opinion.

I ran a cheap shittybilt bumper for quite a while before I went with EVO, even being shitty China steel it took an absolute beating.
I think EVO LOD etc would surpass any strength concerns you could have. Just go with the one that you like the look of best :beer:

Robertcrav

I don't really like the idea of an aluminum bumper.
Steel is typically a lot harder, and meant to take a lot more force before bending.
Aluminum is obviously quite a bit softer, but is supposed to "bend back" after it takes a hit.
As cool as that sounds on paper, with something as thick as 3/8 1/4 whatever, I don't think it would be taking the same shape as it originally was.
If it was sheet metal then sure, it probably makes sense. Just my opinion.

I ran a cheap shittybilt bumper for quite a while before I went with EVO, even being shitty China steel it took an absolute beating.
I think EVO LOD etc would surpass any strength concerns you could have. Just go with the one that you like the look of best :beer:

That being said, have a friend with an aluminum Savvy bumper, he had a solenoid short on his winch and it pulled his bumper in on itself pretty bad, but as soon as he got the winch to release it went right back to the way it was...

Top Bottom