That can't be safe?

porter

When out greasing ball joints I noticed the brake lines were too close to the tire. I took it to the shop that put on the lift and now the brake lines rub on the shock in a way that to my non-mechanic eye looks unsafe. So I ask those with more experience than me, is it safe for brake lines to rub on the shock like that?

Before:
1348342b.jpg

After:
1945202b.jpg

It looks like the shop reversed the connection to the Caliper and the elbows slant the wrong way now. Is all of this OK or should I worry?
193024c.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Both pics are passenger side.

This is an OEM one.

IMG_20170519_195816_947.jpg

This is a JK axle on my WJ with Clayton lines, similar to yours. It looks like they put lines on the wrong sides on yours. The bend should come away from the caliper. Mine aren't near the tire or shock. It's hard to see in the photos, but the lines are about 4 inches away from the shock.

IMG_20170519_195906_108.jpg

porter

That is exactly my concern. To gain clearance they just flipped the brake connection at the caliper. And now the elbow angles the wrong way. When flexing there is a lot more line bending than before. And the line touches the shock rod right where shock travel with pull on the line. Is any of that safe or am I overacting?

WJCO

Meme King
That is exactly my concern. To gain clearance they just flipped the brake connection at the caliper. And now the elbow angles the wrong way. When flexing there is a lot more line bending than before. And the line touches the shock rod right where shock travel with pull on the line. Is any of that safe or am I overacting?

I would see if you can get them away from the shock. If not, I would have the shop put them the right way. With something like brakes, it's not worth the risk, IMO.

ChopperDoc

When out greasing ball joints I noticed the brake lines were too close to the tire. I took it to the shop that put on the lift and now the brake lines rub on the shock in a way that to my non-mechanic eye looks unsafe. So I ask those with more experience than me, is it safe for brake lines to rub on the shock like that?

Before:
View attachment 259400

After:
View attachment 259403

It looks like the shop reversed the connection to the Caliper and the elbows slant the wrong way now. Is all of this OK or should I worry?
View attachment 259407

That doesn't look right at all, I would not go back to that shop. Maybe even get a refund

Top Bottom