Jeep went into a deeeep water hole and I need help

WJCO

Meme King
Get your insurance company involved. I would say drain the oil and trans fluid and re-fill. Take pictures for evidence. Start there. If you have water in your intake with those symptoms, it's not looking good. Also check all of your o2 sensor wiring for tears based on those codes. If you want to find out if you have a bent rod, pull your spark plugs, insert a metal rod or screwdriver in the cylinder and mark the height. Check that measurement on another cylinder where the piston should be the same height. Those 2 cylinders should be identical. Then do the same on another 2 cylinders, and lastly the last 2 cylinders.

Basically, your engine will have companion cylinders and each pair of pistons will run at the exact same height. So if you have a v6, you have 3 pairs of 2 companion cylinders. If you have a bent rod, one of the companion pistons will be lower than the other. Hope that makes sense.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the head start. Would you expect the dealer powertrain warranty to cover it? I doubt it, especially since I have a snorkel. I did see contamination when I pulled the hose that goes from the intake box to the motor (I think its the PCV intake hose?).

If the damage is due to ingested water, it likely would not be covered. It's not a part that failed on its own.

JKbrick

Thanks for the head start. Would you expect the dealer powertrain warranty to cover it? I doubt it, especially since I have a snorkel. I did see contamination when I pulled the hose that goes from the intake box to the motor (I think its the PCV intake hose?).

Not being sarcastic but with a snorkel where did the water get in your intake?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I figured as much. A mechanic told me that he doesn't believe these motors are worth tearing apart to replace a rod after what it went through since the effort and cost wouldn't be too far off for a remanufactured motor. Any weight to that? There is a 3.6l motor from a roll over not too far from me on craigslist. Is it worth the effort of trying to fix this one or should I strongly consider swapping it out? The listed motor only has 28k on it.

Your mechanic is right, IMO. Nowadays, you can get a decent used motor for a good price. With the amount of labor just to tear down the engine in your vehicle, you could be looking at a couple grand to remove the engine and rebuild it not even figuring parts. Your insurance policy may cover this though, definitely look into it.

RonG

I hydrolocked mine with 8000 miles on it. In the end, I turned it in to the insurance company and all I ended up paying was the $500 comprehensive deductible. They replaced the engine with an almost no miles take out from pre-sale upgrade the dealer was doing.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I hydrolocked mine with 8000 miles on it. In the end, I turned it in to the insurance company and all I ended up paying was the $500 comprehensive deductible. They replaced the engine with an almost no miles take out from pre-sale upgrade the dealer was doing.

What kind of upgrade was the dealer doing? We they doing a swap?!

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have a 2013 JKU Automatic and hit a pretty deep water hole this weekend. Fried the starter so I replaced it. I have CELs for Lean Fuel, Rich fuel post cat, I don't have the power I should. It sounds like a diesel and feels like a 4 banger.

I definitely had water go through the motor. The intake baffles were full of dirty water. The motor never stopped under water and it kept chugging along, but very rough. That was pretty much the end of the day for me (well that was at about 4pm and I ended up not getting home until after midnight by time a buddy with a trailer could help).

The tranny is also reading "wrong gear selected" and is having trouble going into 4th and 5th gear.

Can you give me ideas on what I should be looking at first?

Also I know I'm a dumbass. This is the last time I play in water like that. Hopefully not the end of this motor though.

I would check for water in your cat and water in your fuel.

Supercharged

New plugs, air filter, fuel filter, also check plug wires. drain and replace all engine, trans fluid. Probably tcase and diffs to be safe.

Pull your O2 sensors out that have codes
Water may have gotten to them causing contamination and messing up your readings.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

WJCO

Meme King
Could my timing chain be off? How can I test this? I know that it is beyond my skill set to mess with it but I just am trying to cross off possibilities. Someone said that it is possible for the chain to jump a tooth when running rough and having connectivity issues with modules. Any weight to that?

I would actually drain the oil and filter to see what it looks like. Those codes are consistent with a valve timing issue. Also, if there was water contamination in the oil, and it went into the VVT assemblies on the front of the cams, this could cause codes as well. Those things are pretty sensitive to proper oil viscosity.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks! I will do that tonight. If it looks clean after I drain it, what would be your next course of action? I know this is like searching a needle in a haystack. Thank you for your help thus far!

If you haven't already, you need to pull the plugs and check for water in cylinders. With plugs removed, disable your fuel pump by pulling the fuse or relay, then crank the motor over to get the water out of the cylinders. And obviously change the oil. That's the first thing I would do, but damage may already be done. Hard to say.

Top Bottom