New axle gear oil change at 500 miles

The Cock Father

Obviously this is a no brained for the rear. But what about the front? With lockable hubs the 500 miles have prevented any wear. When do I change front gear oil?

WJCO

Meme King
I'm on the fence on mine between 500 or a 1000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

He has a 60 with locking hubs. You have a 44. I don't know the answer regarding the 60. As far as the 44, I changed mine at 500 miles and it was still fairly dark from all the gear coating wearing off. Doesn't hurt to do it IMO.

jorgelrod

Hooked
He has a 60 with locking hubs. You have a 44. I don't know the answer regarding the 60. As far as the 44, I changed mine at 500 miles and it was still fairly dark from all the gear coating wearing off. Doesn't hurt to do it IMO.

Guess I'm off the fence now [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
Guess I'm off the fence now [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Thanks

Here's some pics of my fluid below after 400 miles when I changed the fluid. Nasty looking from all the gear coating coming off. And then after that, I changed it AGAIN after another 500 miles (diagnosing a locker noise, long story) and the 2nd time I changed it, it was a near perfect yellow as new diff fluid should be.

IMG_20170209_155908_098.jpg

IMG_20170209_155945_554.jpg

Exodus 4x4

Obviously this is a no brained for the rear. But what about the front? With lockable hubs the 500 miles have prevented any wear. When do I change front gear oil?

If you don't lock the hubs, the shafts will not turn and the gears will never see any wear of any kind. Lock them, drive the 500 miles, and then change the oil. It's not going to hurt to drive it with the hubs locked.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
If you're anal about it, and want to work the front gears, pull the rear driveline, and drive the jeep in 4wd (fwd) for 500 miles. That will work the gears and make sure they are are good and seated. otherwise, lock the front hubs, and do the front in another 500 miles. :yup:

But either way if you already have 500 miles on the rear, change the rear fluid.

The Cock Father

Goodness!

How did y'all get the covers off??? I've done this many times before, so I know what I'm doing. But these things are "glued" on. I've smacked them like I always do with a rubber mallet and can't break the RTV.

WJCO

Meme King
Goodness!

How did y'all get the covers off??? I've done this many times before, so I know what I'm doing. But these things are "glued" on. I've smacked them like I always do with a rubber mallet and can't break the RTV.

Put down your purse. :cheesy:

Just kidding, they take a good hit. They'll come. I always swing through the cover, so instead of hitting directly on it, I pretend I have to move the cover a few inches sideways during the hit. Mind over matter. :D

Top Bottom