Water in the pentastar!

usachadseidel

This past week I was driving from Harper's ferry WV down to Augusta GA and halfway home I stopped for gas. Upon starting up my jeep I got a decently loud ticking sound and CEL. Nothing seemed too bad other than the noise so I limped her home. The next day I went to the dealer to have the ticking checked out and so far, what they've told me, my oil was severely low and there was water in the motor. I'm not too savvy with engines but I'm not sure I'd be the one to blame for this issue seeing as how I've never been in any water other than rain. They are saying that so far they won't cover it and I need a new motor. Luckily I have good insurance that will cover me but I'm just a little puzzled as to how this could happen. Anyone have any thoughts or insight on this? BTW is an early 2012 sport 2dr. :confused:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Showroom

Water in oil? Sounds like a blown head gasket. why wouldn't the be under warranty? Ticking and CEL sounds like a problem these 3.6 motors have been having

TheDuff

Don't these have head issues? Whos to say the casting sand that has been causing issues with clogging heater cores, couldn't also damage the water pump, or clog a thermostat for that matter. I would have another dealer look at it and not even mention what this dealer told you...

Serg5000

I thought the motors having head issues were the ones being built in Mexico. As far as I understand it. Chrysler has stop having motor built there. I'm sure someone can offer more insight.

Dave_g

I cracked a head gasket in my old truck a few years back. Burned most of the oil and milked up the rest. Sounds like you busted a head gasket. But id say that should be covered by the dealership. You said it was an Early 12'... I'd go Hootin and a Holerin around dealerships about the known issues with early 3.6 pentstars.

usachadseidel

Thanks for the input everyone! I've raised some hell at the dealership and their telling me they may cover it now. Its been in the shop almost two weeks now! But if it means me not paying anything then so be it.

how long have they had it!!!!!!!!!! :naw: time to start waving lemon laws in their face.

§ 10-1-784. Reasonable attempts to correct nonconformity; option to repurchase or replace vehicle

(a) (1) If a consumer reports a nonconformity during the lemon law rights period, the manufacturer, its authorized agent, or the new motor vehicle dealer shall be allowed a reasonable number of attempts to repair and correct the nonconformity. A reasonable number of attempts shall be deemed to have been undertaken by the manufacturer, its authorized agent, or the new motor vehicle dealer if, during the lemon law rights period:

(A) A serious safety defect has been subject to repair one time and the serious safety defect has not been corrected;

(B) The same nonconformity has been subject to repair three times, and the nonconformity has not been corrected; or

(C) The vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of one or more nonconformities for a cumulative total of 30 days.

(10) "Lemon law rights period" means the period ending two years after the date of the original delivery of a new motor vehicle to a consumer or the first 24,000 miles of operation after delivery of a new motor vehicle to the original consumer, whichever occurs first. The lemon law rights period shall be extended by one day for each day that repair services are not available to the consumer as a direct result of a strike, war, invasion, terrorist act, blackout, fire, flood, other disaster, or declared state of emergency.

ATC_LV

The dealer has to attempt to fix it and fail for you to use the Lemon Law. Continue to raise hell because this should be covered under warranty!

usachadseidel

Wow I never even thought of the lemon law! I'm at 22k miles. I'll be in first thing tomorrow morning bringing this up! This could possibly help a lot.

usachadseidel

Welp Jeep/Chrysler refused to cover it and I had my insurance cover it and they totaled it!! So back to the drawing board. Corporate jeep contacted me today sending apologies and offering 5% off of msrp on my next jeep.... I'm going to get an older model and save my money for the diesel JK or new update in a few years. :(

rtguy1

Welp Jeep/Chrysler refused to cover it and I had my insurance cover it and they totaled it!! So back to the drawing board. Corporate jeep contacted me today sending apologies and offering 5% off of msrp on my next jeep.... I'm going to get an older model and save my money for the diesel JK or new update in a few years. :(

so did we ever figure out exactly what was causing the issue? how did your oil get low and water in, etc?

Top Bottom