What time of year is the best for doing the Rubicon?

cj2jk

I live in Upstate NY and I want to drive out and do the Rubicon, I was wondering when is the best time of year? Any input will help. Thanks

Attachments

• photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 151

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Depends on our snowfall, how much you can put up with mosquitos, and whether you are fine going after the Jeepers Jamboree has been through the trail.

jkjurny

Depends on our snowfall, how much you can put up with mosquitos, and whether you are fine going after the Jeepers Jamboree has been through the trail.

What's the issue after Jeepers Jamboree? I plan on going for the first time this year too.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
They stack a lot of rocks to make things easier for lesser vehicles who have paid to be a part of the jamboree.

cj2jk

Mosquitos

When are the mosquitos unbearable? Is April too early in regards to snowfall? How hot does it get in July? Thanks for the input.

They stack a lot of rocks to make things easier for lesser vehicles who have paid to be a part of the jamboree.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When are the mosquitos unbearable? Is April too early in regards to snowfall? How hot does it get in July? Thanks for the input.

Most years, the snows will not have melted enough to run the Rubicon until July. Granted, I have been up there on the 4th of July and Cadillac Hill was still blocked in good. The morning temps in July can still get down to the 30's but daytime highs down around Loon Lake can easily get up into the 90's. Of course, on that same day, it isn't unlikely to get hit by a thunderstorm that drenches you. It is after all, the Sierra Nevada's and you should come prepaired for anything.

Regarding mosquitos, they are all but gone by mid August. I personally love running the Rubicon most in September when all the crowds are gone.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Got it. I knew they did that, but figured they did their best to put it back the way they found it after.

LOL!! No, they leave that to mother nature. Late June to early July is the best time to go if you want harder terrain but be prepaired to get eaten alive.

jkjurny

LOL!! No, they leave that to mother nature. Late June to early July is the best time to go if you want harder terrain but be prepaired to get eaten alive.

I don't mind it being easier as it'll be my first run, and I definitely want to avoid mosquitos. I'm one of those unfortunate souls who gets welts from those bites. :-(.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't mind it being easier as it'll be my first run, and I definitely want to avoid mosquitos. I'm one of those unfortunate souls who gets welts from those bites. :-(.

Well then, mid to late August or early September is when you'd want to go.

jimsh

If you end up going from new york to cali to do the run i would be willing to go with, rebuiding the tj now, Should be ready for a cali run by august. I am in western new york so if you are upstate i am on your way.

cj2jk

Sounds good

I will keep you in the loop to see if you want togo. Thanks for the reply.

If you end up going from new york to cali to do the run i would be willing to go with, rebuiding the tj now, Should be ready for a cali run by august. I am in western new york so if you are upstate i am on your way.

Top Bottom