new suspension on the xj

DasBuxxx

Looking at sticking with a 2" with new coils...been leaning to the Rusty's kit. Also thinking about adding another 1" or 2" on the body.

Anyone see anything wrong with this or have any suggestions?

That would work fine. Im not a big fan of body lifts as they create that gap between the frame rail and body. dirt and mud to get kicked in the engine bay pretty easily if u don't find away to block it off. Have u ruled out doing larger suspension lift? Could do 2" springs and shackles with 1" coil spacer and a 1" block to stay budget friendly. Or 3" springs and an add a leaf shackle combo. You would just need some longer shocks and an adjustable trac bar. If your going to wheel it doing full suspension lift is the way to go. Better to get more travel and flex out of the suspension vs a body lift which will only help u fit larger tires

Last edited:
Huh. My bad I stand corrected. The last one I ever looked at the guy must of boxed the rails. It was a trailer rig and not much body left to it. I installed a 4.5 lift on one 10 years ago and now that I think about it it was a unibody Hahaa

l1kenother

all cherokees and grand cherokees are Unibody. As for the lift I would go with a 3-3 1/2". Anything over that and you will need lots of other parts including a slip yoke eliminator, adjustable lower and upper control arms trac bar and your driveline angle will need to be corrected. Also you get what you pay for. Rustys is cheap.

DasBuxxx

I would consider going with a 3 but, i had been reading that at that point you needed to put in any sye and other hardware. Is this 3 inch limit correct for the xj or is it higher than 3 inches that i will need to do this

l1kenother

I don't know how much lift u need for a sye but there is always a 1" transfercase drop u can do to avoid a sye

A transfer case drop is for any lift 3" or over but it is intended to correct the driveline angle caused by the lift. An SYE is reccomended for anything 3" or above. The higher you go the more your driveline will be pulling out of your transfer case.

in4low

The previous comment that 1kenother made in last post is spot on and 3&1/2" to 4" and start thinking about drive line mods.

Joker

Rough country makes a good 3" lift at an affordable price, that is if you install yourself (which i didn't).

Top Bottom