Steering - Handling Upgrade

FOSJ

Just thinking, down the road how can I upgrade the handling of my '14 JKUR. 92k miles, 2.5" lift, 35" KO2s(26-30lbs pressure), Fox reservoir shocks. It's our primary DD, but we really enjoy taking the road less traveled...any national forest road, hunting tracks (outside of hunting season) into the mountains, Moab, Ouray...you get the idea.

It's just a little stiff over speed bumps or rough pavement. What options are out there? Coilovers? I'd appreciate your ideas. Thanks.

Sent from my VS986 using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Just thinking, down the road how can I upgrade the handling of my '14 JKUR. 92k miles, 2.5" lift, 35" KO2s(26-30lbs pressure), Fox reservoir shocks. It's our primary DD, but we really enjoy taking the road less traveled...any national forest road, hunting tracks (outside of hunting season) into the mountains, Moab, Ouray...you get the idea.

It's just a little stiff over speed bumps or rough pavement. What options are out there? Coilovers? I'd appreciate your ideas. Thanks.

I just switched my coils form AEV progressive coils to EVO plush rides. It's only been few days but I can already tell it's much softer ride especially over roughy pavement and minor bumps and potholes on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Ok so it seems like your asking two different things. Do you want a softer ride or do you want your steering tighter? Your title says one thing but your post says another which is why I ask

WJCO

Meme King
What lift are you running? It may just be the type of springs that you're running. Another thing that COULD help is to make sure control arm bushings aren't binding. If they weren't loosened and retorqued after the lift, they could be in a position of binding. It's amazing how much a simple re-torque can do. The bolts should be torqued with the jeep on the ground.

Tanktitan

Have you thought about adjustable shocks like ARB/OME BP51's?

They really do change the ride. I was in a 30 mph wind on my door in Kansas recently, pulled over, notched them up to 10 and I stopped getting pushed around. It was a far better ride. Now, if I had hit a speed bump in a parking lot on 10, my teeth would have fallen out. That is what 2 is for.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Desert Crawler

I was going to suggest adjustable shocks also. The fox shocks can ride a little stiff. I run the fox adjustable reservoir shocks on a fairly low level to get the ride I like.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

FOSJ

Cozdude......the title is misleading. The handling is fine. My desire is greater comfort, not so much stiff response over rough pavement, rocks, bumps, etc.

WJCO....I'm running a Teraflex 2.5" lift.

I just had the trackbar replaced at dealership where they replaced a worn TF trackbar installed with the lift 40k miles ago. Also had ball joints replaced and an alignment performed. The stiff ride was prior to these services....just kinda' what came along with the lift and shocks. But I've seen other lifted jeeps seem to glide over bumps without jarring the passengers and wondered what I could do to improve that characteristic.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Cozdude......the title is misleading. The handling is fine. My desire is greater comfort, not so much stiff response over rough pavement, rocks, bumps, etc.

WJCO....I'm running a Teraflex 2.5" lift.

I just had the trackbar replaced at dealership where they replaced a worn TF trackbar installed with the lift 40k miles ago. Also had ball joints replaced and an alignment performed. The stiff ride was prior to these services....just kinda' what came along with the lift and shocks. But I've seen other lifted jeeps seem to glide over bumps without jarring the passengers and wondered what I could do to improve that characteristic.

Understood.

Your issue is the terraflex lift. I had it for a while and it is VERY stiff. If you want a softer ride I highly suggest the evo plush ride coils or the rancho coils. Both are super soft and comfortable

WJCO

Meme King
Yeti tie rod + Griffin attenuator has been good to me.

Glad the tie rod is working out for you. Too bad Steer Smarts as a company has horrible business practices:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?34385-STEER-SMARTS-has-been-Removed-from-WAYALIFE

Nothing like adding a dildo to your drag link to fix your steering problems.

Top Bottom