Gears

lemoncadebay

Be sure to match the chart with engine (3.8 or 3.6) and trans (stick or auto). There's different suggestions based on your setup.

I'm a total jeep nub. I apologize if this is incorrect. It's what I discovered while researching.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Pursesnatcher

Do a quick Google search of "2010 Jeep JK 4.88 gearing MPG" you'll usually find pretty good feedback. Some owners claim they gained MPG some say it dropped. Really, MPG is all about the driver (no matter what setup). I know some people on stock Jeeps who claim 14-16 avg... I get 18-19mpg avg. Others on lifted jeeps get 10-12mpg (depending on setup) then others with a similar setup get 14-15 mpg... you get the idea.

Also, I'd figured being in TX where it's flat you're going to see different results as say someone who lives in a more mountainous area like Denver! Cheers and make sure to utilize that search bar in subsections before you make a post, this forum is a mega-archive of awesome info that has answers faster by searching than you would get making a post and waiting for the response! You can also revive those old threads if you feel necessary and ask new/additional questions :)

Oh yea, welcome to WAL! Cheers :beer:

BaddestCross

I hope to be rehearing by the end of the year. Thinking about going with 5.13 in case I decide to go up to 37s (on 35s now)... Is there going to be a problem with the size of the pinion gear being too small on the Rubi d44s with 5.13s?

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

I hope to be rehearing by the end of the year. Thinking about going with 5.13 in case I decide to go up to 37s (on 35s now)... Is there going to be a problem with the size of the pinion gear being too small on the Rubi d44s with 5.13s?

No - a large majority of the forum is running Dana 44s w/ 5:13s (myself included).
It's too small for a Dana 30.

J

JKDream

From what I understand, brand doesn't matter - all of the gears come from the same factory in Korea.

Not all - there are some brands for JK's that are made in China (and shit).

You are partially correct though, all brands made in Korea are coming from the same manufacture.

J

JKDream

Crap... Looking at the chart again, 5.38s are in the green for both 35s and 37s. Any issues with 5.38s on the D44s?

Well, other than being horribly over geared for 35s, they have the same issue as 5:13's in a 30.
Pinion is too small. If you're on the fence abut 35s & 37s 4:88 would be a better choice.
Suitable for both tire sizes.

fiend

Caught the Bug
5.38 is an option for the 44 but the pinion gear is very small. The smaller the pinion, the greater the odds of broken gears. You're trying to strike the right balance between perceived power/torque v strength v engine power band. When I looked at this years ago when I went to 37s, I decided 5.13s best fit the bill. The pinion gear is larger and, therefore, should be stronger. If you really want 5.38s without compromising strength, You need to go to the 60, which has a bigger ring gear than the 44 thereby permitting a larger pinion gear with the same 5.38 ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom