2013 King of the Hammers EVO 1 Bombing Up the Sand Hill

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Discount Tire Sponsored EVO 1 had an awesome start at the 2013 King of the Hammers Race in Johnson Valley, CA. On Lap 1, there was a bottleneck of rigs both broken and struggling to clear a tough obstacle known as the Sand Hill but, as you can see in this short clip, EVO 1 just bombed up it like it wasn't even there. Check it out!! Big thanks to Travis Kiger for providing the footage!

:thumb:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
He was one of the fastest rigs to make it up sand hill. Seeing that was pretty awesome! I have to go through my pictures I took.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yup. Made short work of that hill. Very, very impressive.

Thought so but wasn't sure. lol I'll post up some photos later of some buggies that were struggling pretty hard. One of which winched all the way up and some others that broke on the way up.

MTG

Caught the Bug
What I'm saying...what configuration is he in running up that hill?

All the rigs were different. It was hard to tell what they were doing. Most were in 4wd and likely hi. Several tried in 2wd...some forgot to put it in and others, well, 2wd is all that had left. :cheesy:

GCM 2

Hahahahahaha, Beast Hemi JK right there....

When doing shit like this, is it better to run in 4HI w/ lockers off?

Typically in a stock Rubicon, you would want lockers on, 4lo and if in an auto trans to manual shift from 1st on up as needed to maintain speed and also with the overdrive button turned off.

The day before this video was taken when we were running in the stock class in the EVO TJ, the bottom of Sand Hill is exactly where we broke and the race ended for us, so we had plenty of time to see other rigs break down on the obstacle and also see how not to do it. What should be noted, in this video of EVO1 Mel actually took what is considered to be the harder of the two possible lines on that hill. He had front and rear lockers on, but he's running a 3 speed manual body Torqueflight 727 automatic transmission and an Atlas transfer case. It's not as simple as just 4hi or 4lo. He started in 2nd gear in the auto, but I don't remember what the t-case was in, and towards the top was forced to shift into 3rd to stop some of the wheel spin from the 6.1L Hemi. Hope this info helps out a little bit.

Top Bottom