Bent front axle or housing

KCgunner

Hello fellow Jeep peeps! First post just registered today. Had a question for anyone who has input on a bent axle shaft vs housing of diff damaged. My DLR says my 2016 Sport JK 4 door has a bent axle not covered under warranty since it has custom wheels and
Tires and a winch bumper? I know BS but whatever. My real question is a local 4x4 shop says it is most likely not a bent axle but housing is damaged 99% of time it doesn't bend it breaks so it has to be axle diff housing damaged. The reason I'm asking is this just went from a repair I can do my self for 6-800$ to 4000$ for a new Dana 44 upgraded entire axle.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepFan

Hooked
What problem are you experiencing? Need more info. Dealer say bent axle. 4x4 shop says bent housing. Sounds like best guess diagnostics at best.

JeepFan

Hooked
By the way. Welcome to WAYALIFE! Check out the give us a wave thread to introduce yourself and post some pics of your Jeep. [emoji41]

jorgelrod

Hooked
Welcome to Wayalife, Unless you hit something or bomb through the desert, I don't see how they say it just bent from the load of an aftermarket winch/bumper combo

KCgunner

Thanks for response. So my issue started months ago when I got the ABS traction dash warning came on. Then came on every time I drove it. It will make the anti lock braking noise at low speeds too not knowing what speed wheel is going. Took into DLR for warranty repair of speed sensor/ABS sensor. DLR said bent axle 1200$ for them to repair. I started calling around no Napa or Autozone could get axle? Weird right so I called 4 wheel parts they have a shop local here. He said the axle would break never bend in his experience with several (one a month) with damage to housing axle not axle shaft. My suspicion is when up hunting I hit a bone jarring pothole the kind that rattle your fillings is what did damage. Bad part is the entire axle replace swapping ring pin gears ect and converting from Dana 30 to 44 is out if my scope to do in garage. Was just wondering if anyone had similar issue. I think my best option is to take into the best alignment shop I can find and have them diagnose?

WJCO

Meme King
Is steering wheel straight? Did you tear an abs wire? Front or rear? Any statements from dealer backing up what they supposedly found? Not saying that it isn't bent, but before wasting a chunk of change, you need some more details.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Just post a picture of your jeep and the printout front the dealer. You are talking about 12 different things and we will never be able to help you without that information.

Alkihaul

I bent my front dana 44 housing. I drove over a 3 ft sand dune cliff I didn't see. I snapped a axle shaft when it happened it was so hard. The impact was so hard it knocked my coolant reservoir off the mount.

The most obvious sign it was bent was the 6-8 degrees of camber on both my front wheels, and I was leaking diff fluid from the axle tubes where they join the housing. Nothing else was damaged, like ball joints, steering knuckles, drag link etc as I moved them all over to my ProRock and it runs smooth with them. My tie rod was really stretched and I replace it as well.

bent1.jpg

mo0s3

I bent my front dana 44 housing. I drove over a 3 ft sand dune cliff I didn't see. I snapped a axle shaft when it happened it was so hard. The impact was so hard it knocked my coolant reservoir off the mount.

The most obvious sign it was bent was the 6-8 degrees of camber on both my front wheels, and I was leaking diff fluid from the axle tubes where they join the housing. Nothing else was damaged, like ball joints, steering knuckles, drag link etc as I moved them all over to my ProRock and it runs smooth with them. My tie rod was really stretched and I replace it as well.

View attachment 261862
Whoa. .... thats ruff man !

mo0s3

Those C's look bad man, when you get a new housing you may want to beef that up with some gussets as well. And 4wheel parts will hose you on cost of a new axle. Is this your daily driver or is it something you can build up a new axle as the cash comes in ?

Sorry didn't realize this was another poster, damn hangover lol

Last edited:

10abadilla/jk

Yea those end forging are shot. If you looking into a new front axle I would look into an after market one. Most axles out there are pretty close to the same price as a stock 44 front. I think g2 has one that is about the same price with better end forgings. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King

Glad to hear you went with a ProRock. Hopefully the OP will do the same if he indeed needs a new housing. He hasn't posted back yet, but yours was definitely bent.

jesse3638

Hooked
Those C's look bad man, when you get a new housing you may want to beef that up with some gussets as well. And 4wheel parts will hose you on cost of a new axle. Is this your daily driver or is it something you can build up a new axle as the cash comes in ?

Sorry didn't realize this was another poster, damn hangover lol

Yea those end forging are shot. If you looking into a new front axle I would look into an after market one. Most axles out there are pretty close to the same price as a stock 44 front. I think g2 has one that is about the same price with better end forgings. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

That pic was not the OP. Just someone who was showing what he did to his axle before upgrading to a PR44

KCgunner

Good info. Ouch on Dana 44 that kind of goes in line with 4 wheel parts was saying the axle housing will bend before axle shaft. I'm working today. I will do some more digging tonight when I get home not sure on if pics will show anything. 4 wheel parts said 3k for Dana 44 then pull mine out parts in it. 4K total. Think alignment is a good idea to help identify issue second opinion anyway. Thanks guys

madstiles

I've found complete dana 44 j8 complete assemblies with e locker and choice of gears online for around $2400 . It's better than a Rubicon 44 and cheaper than most people sell them used. Just an idea depending on your wheeling style it's more than many would ever need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

KCgunner

And this is a daily driver with a lot of time spent in the woods on rough roads logging roads not like rock crawling or OHV area abuse. Apparently abusive enough.

Top Bottom