Utah Camping/wheelin trip

Dprochef

So we're heading out to Moab the end of August and looking for some recommendations on both camping locations (base camping) and trails that we can do. We'll be in the area for 5-6 days.

I'm new to wheeling and not ready for anything too technical. Mainly sightseeing off road trails with some fun parts too.

We've been to the area twice in the past couple of years and love it. Now that I have a Jeep I would like to experience it that way too.

Thanks for any advice and recommendations

View attachment 261858

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

LasVegasJK

Also looking for any advice on safety items I should have along for day trips.

Thinking about getting a Cb/2-way radio just in case we get into trouble

Plenty of water. Self recovery equipment(winch, straps), a hi lift jack. Learn to use the hilift properly. They are very useful, but can be very dangerous also. Just buy the CB. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Keep me posted. Moab is like a second home to me and being that I live in salt lake it's fairly close. If I can swing it, I'd be happy to come down and show you around.

DaJudge

Do you want a campground with showers etc., backcountry or in between?
There is some nice BLM camping along the river. Canyonlands is a nice campground in the middle of town. You will need shade in August. It is HOT!

Trails:
Tower Arch in Arches National Park - Fun and if you are new it really feels like you are doing something
Potash Road to Schafer Switchbacks is just a road but it is beautiful! You could come back to town on Long Canyon.
There are many more. After you have done a few try the North side of Fins-N-Things.

If you don't have it get the Charles Wells' book for Moab.

trailraider

2nd on the water. as for trail... don't think there is a trail not to recommend. what time frame are you there?
the KOA there looks decent, although i have not stayed there. Fins n things has camp spots along the trail if that appeals to you.

jk livin

Also heading to Moab and will trail July 20th and 21st. We booked a AirBNB trailer (same price as a hotel) for the "camping" atmosphere. Hope to see you there.

Top Bottom