My mid life crisis project

cml612571

1980 CJ5, purchased in 11/15 I have a total of 400 miles recorded on her. I can't stop mapping out mods, shopping on all the 4x4 sites, is there AS meetings for Jeep lovers?
My shop tried to convince me to do a Chevy 350 conversion over the AMC 304 that I have in her now. Rebuilt by the previous owner I just can't pull the strings on a Chevy 350.
I would rather sink more money in the 304.

Well stay tuned... I gave myself 2 years for the rebuild. 20170528_130931.jpg 20170530_110949.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Thats a sweet CJ! And tell that shop to get bent - nothing wrong with the AMC motors. They're a great reliable motor and can be made to run just fine. Now if yours was blown or you ventilated the block, that'd be different.

And that Olympic push bar is a classic!

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Wow, beautiful!! I agreed with Ddays, there is nothing wrong with the stock 304. Keep it classic.

Ddays, are you sure that is an Olympic push bar?? That is the first time I have ever seen that front bumper on another jeep. My Scrambler has it and the original owner that I bought it from said it came from the dealership like that in 85'.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cml612571

Thats a sweet CJ! And tell that shop to get bent - nothing wrong with the AMC motors. They're a great reliable motor and can be made to run just fine. Now if yours was blown or you ventilated the block, that'd be different.

And that Olympic push bar is a classic!
Thanks, 6100 in labor over 4 months. When I took her out the oil pressure was dropping to 20, and 10 when idle. Drove me crazy... so she went back in. 6 weeks later, no major adjustments except a few upgrades that I had wanted and 1 oil pressure sending unit and like Magic out of a Hat... we have over 40.
I'm still leaning towards having it rebuilt. I rebuilt the transmission twice, and transfercase...

cml612571

Wow, beautiful!! I agreed with Ddays, there is nothing wrong with the stock 304. Keep it classic.

Ddays, are you sure that is an Olympic push bar?? That is the first time I have ever seen that front bumper on another jeep. My Scrambler has it and the original owner that I bought it from said it came from the dealership like that in 85'.

Thank you.

JeepJeep75

Haha! I've seen more than a few oil pressure sending units be the cause of big-money moves. Good catch on that! Sweet CJ! Looking forward to seeing what else you do to it! [emoji106]

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
And tell that shop to get bent - nothing wrong with the AMC motors. They're a great reliable motor and can be made to run just fine.

I agreed with Ddays, there is nothing wrong with the stock 304. Keep it classic.

I'm with these guys. Gotta be the factory motor. That's one of the biggest things that makes it cool. Chevy's are easy and they're in everything, be different by keeping it the same.

briand

Great looking CJ! Can't wait to see what else you are gonna do with it

Sent from the never ending trail

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Holy hell, I just came across this thread for the first time and all I can say is WOW - sweet CJ!! :thumb:

350's are nice but I'd definitely keep the 304 :yup:

Top Bottom