HELP!!! Illinois Vehicle Laws???!

gmb425

I have to move to Illinois. Long story short, one of my family members has cancer. I started researching vehicle modification laws and found some disturbing information.

I have a 2.5 Rock Krawler and 35s and now I am worried I cannot even run that after reviewing IL vehicle law. My goal was to build a Jeep with 4inch Enforcer and 37s. Are there any Illinois wayalife members who run a lifted Jeep? Anyone got any advice? I can live with the 35s but some of Illinois laws has me very concerned. I would like to know if I can legally run 35s and 2.5-3 inch lift. Is it even possible to run 37s legally in Illinois? I am not interested in towing my Jeep. I heard you cannot even run a stubby bumper or narrow fender flares and need mud flaps... WTF

IMG_1065.jpg

Help please!!!

GRBG TRK http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?38800-Garbage-Truck-(GRBG-TRK)

Iamsamrogers

I run 35's and a 3.5 " lift. With a stubby, narrow flares, and no rear bumper. Never been pulled over. Although I live in southern Illinois, what part are you moving too?

2009 JK sunset orange, inner tub line-X'd, 35's, Cage type roof rack, bed lined inner hard top, 12k winch, Tepui RTT, and other overpriced pieces of jeep stuff

Iamsamrogers

IMG_5674.jpg IMG_3426.jpg

2009 JK sunset orange, inner tub line-X'd, 35's, Cage type roof rack, bed lined inner hard top, 12k winch, Tepui RTT, and other overpriced pieces of jeep stuff

Iamsamrogers

Also, there's a guy up north that has a stubby, and 42's on a 2 door, and he seems to do just fine

WW_Svi

https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...-modifications-in-illinois-by-valerie-mellema

Here is a quick search I found and from I can recall matches a lot of the laws I have read in the past. Most highly modded jeeps are illegal in Illinois but for the most part if you are not driving like an idiot then you will not have an issue. If you do get in an accident or pulled over for something else then there is always the chance of adding up fines. I live in the quad cities. Moline IL/Davenport IA and see lots of wranglers and cherokees as well as jacked up trucks. Nobody really has any issues here

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Liftlaws.com is a good site and will cover everything that is illegal. That being said it comes down to the cops discretion as to if they do anything about your mods or not.

Chris1015

Hope not. I live in IL my whole life and I'm on my way back from Colorado sporting a new 3.5 jspec and 37 trail grapplers lol

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I ran a 3.5" lift and 35's for a few years, never been pulled over. I also have a stubby front bumper and no mud flaps. As long as you are not driving around all stupid, you should be good. It's possible law enforcement could be more strict up near Chicago, but here in the St. Louis Metro, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

sparks

I'm in Chicago burbs and commute to the city. I see lots of lifted jeeps and other trucks... most are in better operating condition than the 92 Buick Century that are falling apart while being driven by a parolee that never gets pulled over.

You should be fine.

gmb425

https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...-modifications-in-illinois-by-valerie-mellema

Here is a quick search I found and from I can recall matches a lot of the laws I have read in the past. Most highly modded jeeps are illegal in Illinois but for the most part if you are not driving like an idiot then you will not have an issue. If you do get in an accident or pulled over for something else then there is always the chance of adding up fines. I live in the quad cities. Moline IL/Davenport IA and see lots of wranglers and cherokees as well as jacked up trucks. Nobody really has any issues here

Cool. Thanks for taking the time and helping me out. That's why I love wayalife!!!

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I live on the Illinois side of St. Louis and haven't had problems yet. Also I'm prepping to add a Poison Spyder BFH, doesn't get more stubby than that.

Look forward to possibly hitting the trails with you one of these days. IMG_20170521_142519444.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

gmb425

I live on the Illinois side of St. Louis and haven't had problems yet. Also I'm prepping to add a Poison Spyder BFH, doesn't get more stubby than that.

Look forward to possibly hitting the trails with you one of these days. View attachment 262186

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cannot wait to hit the trails. Should be out there 7 months from now, if all plans remain the same. Nice Jeep build! Thanks for the info. I am feeling much better.

Top Bottom