June 6th 1944, D-Day

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just want to remind everyone that today is the anniversary of d-day. One of the greatest loses of Americans in a single day. Please take a moment out of your day to remember all of those that have fallen on this day [emoji22]
IMG_7790.JPG

Coop

Caught the Bug
Just want to remind everyone that today is the anniversary of d-day. One of the greatest loses of Americans in a single day. Please take a moment out of your day to remember all of those that have fallen on this day [emoji22]
View attachment 262188

Thanks Coz! Truly a day to reflect on our freedom and the cost of that freedom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ddays

Hooked
I can't imagine what it was like to have to have done what those brave young men did. It's absolutely unimaginable.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
You know, I was crawling under a house today, covered in dirt and insulation. Seen a couple dead animals. I thought this sucks. Wtf did I go wrong.

For some reason I thought of D-day. What they had to go through today. I called myself a pussy and moved on. We have it good.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
I remember seeing Saving Private Ryan at the theatre years ago when it came out...the opening scene of the first wave landing at Omaha Beach was unnerving...to this day, no other movie has had an effect on me as that one. I still remember vividly as the movie ended and walking out with all the young marines in the audience...it was so silent you could hear a pin drop...

I remember seeing Saving Private Ryan at the theatre years ago when it came out...the opening scene of the first wave landing at Omaha Beach was unnerving...to this day, no other movie has had an effect on me as that one. I still remember vividly as the movie ended and walking out with all the young marines in the audience...it was so silent you could hear a pin drop...

I saw it in theater with My Father who is a Vietnam vet. He had heard how realistic it was and thats why he took me. He spent that 20 or so minutes hiding under the seat and crying. He wasn't the only silver haired man doing that in the theater. Its still a very emotional memory. it amazes me that they made it off the beach. 90% casualties in the first wave. Surviving the first wave and the next month was almost a statistical impossibility. Sorry I'm a history nut.

"I was the first one out. The seventh man was the next one to get across the beach without being hit. All the ones in-between were hit. Two were killed; three were injured. That's how lucky you had to be."

Captain Richard Merrill, 2nd Ranger Battalion

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

I felt the same way. Thing is, the first wave didn't break out from behind that sand wall for hours, so even Saving Private Ryan can only give a glimpse of what it would have been like. 80% casualties in the first wave.

Top Bottom