Are high steer knuckles really worth it?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Hi all,
I am planning to upgrade my steering hopefully couple of months form now. I currently run 37" on my 2014 rubicon with all stock steering components. Really pushing my luck.
I am looking to get the PSC big bore steering box (before I get the box I want to confirm with PSC that they will offer to port this box in the future in case I want to run bigger tires in the far future). I also want to upgrade my links to curries while I am at it. I am also contemplating on getting high steer knuckles, but I am not really sure if they are worth it since they only bring the tie rod up about an 1.5".
My plan is to finally play hard enough to require me to upgrade to Prorock44 and transfer all my components into it.
Any advice, guidance and sarcasm welcome and much appreciated [emoji10]

And here is couple shots of my jeep. I just replaced my springs to 4" plush rides and installed Genright tire carrier. Front bumper hopefully coming next week so i can get that and a winch done and go out and play finally.
IMG_4688.jpg
IMG_4685.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You mean so that you're tie-rod will still get hit in spite of sitting about an inch higher than stock? I think you've already answered your own question.

J

JKDream

You mean so that you're tie-rod will still get hit in spite of sitting about an inch higher than stock? I think you've already answered your own question.
Not to mention it also raises the draglink higher than most track bar brackets bringing them out of alignment.

Stock knuckles are good enough for me on 37s with a flip - and Eddie with an LS and 40s.

WJCO

Meme King
Are you already running a drag link flip? If so, your setup should be fine as is.

If you're not running a drag link flip, a high steer knuckle would be pre-drilled so you wouldn't have to drill your existing one, but you still have the labor involved of pulling the old knuckles and installing them. Not really cost effective.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

Not to mention it also raises the draglink higher than most track bar brackets bringing them out of alignment.

Stock knuckles are good enough for me on 37s with a flip - and Eddie with an LS and 40s.

Thanks guys, that's the advice I am looking for.

Are you already running a drag link flip? If so, your setup should be fine as is.

If you're not running a drag link flip, a high steer knuckle would be pre-drilled so you wouldn't have to drill your existing one, but you still have the labor involved of pulling the old knuckles and installing them. Not really cost effective.

I do run a drag link flip.

Also I run ProSteers in my factory axle that I installed couple months ago. Does any of you guys know if it is possible to press them out and transfer them to the prorock44 without damaging them, when that time comes.

J

JKDream

Also I run ProSteers in my factory axle that I installed couple months ago. Does any of you guys know if it is possible to press them out and transfer them to the prorock44 without damaging them, when that time comes.

Yup - as long as your using the proper tools they won't get damaged and can be reused.

deezus

I run the Ranchos, probably didnt need them but i was doing ball jounts(Dynatrac) and decided to do it then. My tie rod seems higher and now i usually hit the Differential. If anything, i now know the difference between hitting tie rod and hitting dif case.
Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I run the ranchos and like them but the tie rod now hits the lower tab on my track bar mount just enough I couldn't figure out what was affecting my steering until recently.

After my last trip I finally saw the wear mark on the tab and where it's hitting just below the top of the tie rod.

If I hadn't already installed the Dynatrac ball joints I'd probably go back to stock. Need to cut off the lower tab and get another one welded on top and make a couple other adjustments then I can remove the spacers!

Exodus 4x4

I run the ranchos and like them but the tie rod now hits the lower tab on my track bar mount just enough I couldn't figure out what was affecting my steering until recently.

After my last trip I finally saw the wear mark on the tab and where it's hitting just below the top of the tie rod.

If I hadn't already installed the Dynatrac ball joints I'd probably go back to stock. Need to cut off the lower tab and get another one welded on top and make a couple other adjustments then I can remove the spacers!

I had a similar issue with mine but it was hitting the sway bar tab on my PR44, drivers side. I planned on modifying the tab for clearance but before I got around to it I upgraded my bent ass tie rod for a beefy one with gm offset ends. It gave more clearance than needed and haven't had any issues since. I really didn't want to cut and weld anything on the PR so I was relieved.

jeeeep

Hooked
I had a similar issue with mine but it was hitting the sway bar tab on my PR44, drivers side. I planned on modifying the tab for clearance but before I got around to it I upgraded my bent ass tie rod for a beefy one with gm offset ends. It gave more clearance than needed and haven't had any issues since. I really didn't want to cut and weld anything on the PR so I was relieved.

I'll need to check the sway bar tab clearance as well - thanks for that

deezus

Mmmm i need to check this as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

tgoss

Let me know how that stock d44 knuckle is fitting on a PR60 with hi steer arms?.... where do you guys come up with this shit?

OP - short answer is no.... the inch gained won't keep it from hitting rocks so I suggest upgrading it to beefier tie rod and keeping your current hi-steer configuration.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Let me know how that stock d44 knuckle is fitting on a PR60 with hi steer arms?.... where do you guys come up with this shit?

OP - short answer is no.... the inch gained won't keep it from hitting rocks so I suggest upgrading it to beefier tie rod and keeping your current hi-steer configuration.

Yup that's the plan. I want to upgrade my steering box to a PSC big bore and get Currie links. For the money I won't spend on the knuckles i will invest in upgrading axle shafts.
Thanks!

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
That's a wise move sir. That new box is very impressive.

I know I am excited for it, but before I buy it I want to check with with PSC that they will eventually offer to get this box ported make it work with the rest of system in case I want to run bigger tires in the future and require hydro assist. Form what I read this box should be plenty to run my 37" for now.

tgoss

I know I am excited for it, but before I buy it I want to check with with PSC that they will eventually offer to get this box ported make it work with the rest of system in case I want to run bigger tires in the future and require hydro assist. Form what I read this box should be plenty to run my 37" for now.

Yeah I asked them and they are coming out with it but it won't be for some time.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Yeah I asked them and they are coming out with it but it won't be for some time.

Oh cool, thanks man now I know. I am not concerned how long it will take, I already have too much jeep for my skill [emoji12] and It'll probably be years or if I even ever make my way up 40s

J

JKDream

He wasn't talking about a prorock 60...
I had Reid knuckles on my last JK and I did have an issue getting a track bar bracket tall enough, and I got bumpsteer as a result. There's nothing wrong with OE knuckles.

Edit: if you were referring to the comment about Eddie and 40s, that was my mistake. I thought he was still running 40s on Rubicat with the PR44 (I don't follow builds too much).

Last edited by a moderator:

kawimoto

this. im running the ruffstuff tierod with gm offset ends and on reid knuckles and it gets the clearance needed for the sway tabs on the pr44. did I need the aftermarket knuckles? absolutely not. stock would have been fine but I had the money and figured wth why not

Top Bottom