Won't start!!! 2012 jku with about 70k mile

hawklee

Looking for a thread on replacing starter or advice on other things I should consider.

Radio and lights work. I turned them off to try to start and nothing happens.
Has gas. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Does the engine crank? Or do you just hear a click? Is the theft light flashing?

hawklee

No cranking a quick click or two then nothing. Noticed something flashing not sure what indicator it was and will have to double check that.

Ddays

Hooked
No cranking a quick click or two then nothing. Noticed something flashing not sure what indicator it was and will have to double check that.

That sounds like a battery or loose cable Will. Didn't you just put in an Odyssey or something not long ago?

How are Andy's kids doing? :D

bearisloco

Looking for a thread on replacing starter or advice on other things I should consider.

Has gas. Lol

Just had the same problem with my 2016 JKU. It was a blown fuse to the PCM. Use an OBD reader and see if the code reads PCM then check the fuses.

FuriousDz

This is going to sound stupid and most likely not your issue BUT I had an issue with my 2011 not starting and would even stall out on me while I was driving. It wound up being my key fab.
I literally pushed it into a gas station figuring something major was wrong. The mechanic came out looked it over asked for my keys and hit the unlock button a few times and it started up. Turned out something in the fab was kicking on the kill switch function. Like others have said its probably something loose or the starter like you mentioned but something to keep in the back of your mind as it was something I never thought possible when it happened to me.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
It could be your battery clamps. Especially if you just replaced your battery. I had the same problem with the terminals slipping of the battery.
Place the factory post clamp over the battery post, then grab a socket that is bigger diameter than the battery post place that over the clamp and gently beat the clamp down all the down on the battery post. Them proceed to tighten the post clamp making sure you are not stripping it.
It should work like and charm and shouldn't slide of anymore.

Mediumsizetony

If you have a multimeter and a friend you can check to see if the starters getting a start signal there should be a little tab or a small wire with the connector at the end of it on one of the terminals you should see if that's getting 12v When I turn the key ,if you are then it's your starter if not it's something else .... also is this manual or auto ??

tdougherty81

Has gas. Lol

My 08 would some times do the same. Put it in neutral and it cranked right up. Not sure if that is your issue.

TGPJKUR

I had an issue with my 12 where the starter hung up, I had been hearing an intermittent odd scrapping noise and had noticed that the jeep sometimes wouldn't start the first time I turned the key. I took it into the dealer as my warranty was just about to expire and needed them to replace the power steering pump that was making a god awful racket. No kidding, when I went to move the Jeep around the lot at the dealers service department it would not start. New starter and new PS pump two weeks from the end of the warranty woohoo!!

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I would throw a multimeter on the battery and look for 12.6 volts. Sometimes things like a radio and lights will still work but there won't be enough juice to kick the starter. If battery is good you can have someone crank the key while you tap on the starter with a small hammer, if it's a bad starter sometimes it will kick over with a few whacks.

scrota76

This happened in my '14. If you read about the factory batteries they are junk, especially if you have done some tough offroading that jars the battery around. My stereo and lights worked until i turned the key to start. I put in an odyssey battery, which was on the to do list anyway, and it fired right up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom