Help... Can I use an external VR on a JK?

nsbluesman

Hi All:

Is it possible to install an external voltage regulator on a 2011 JKU? It just doesn't seem to work for me, are the field terminals on the alternator the same as older Jeeps or did they change?

At present it looks like the VR internal to the pcm is toast, it wont control the alt output so I thought I could just bypass the damn thing using a Dodge external VR ( one with two pins, and yes I made sure the 12v source goes to the correct middle pin..)

Frustrating me to no end. Should be a simple fix.

Thanks in advance

Colin

WJCO

Meme King
Just found there is a guy who sells kits. There was another youtube video of someone saying you can get kits on eBay as well. I didn't watch the entire videos, but at least it can be done if you do your research.

nsbluesman

Just found there is a guy who sells kits. There was another youtube video of someone saying you can get kits on eBay as well. I didn't watch the entire videos, but at least it can be done if you do your research.

Yeah, saw those and that is what I am doing, but no go at all nothing over 12.5vdc, it should work but no luck.. I can get it to run full open but that's not good! about 17-18vdc.

Cheers

metalic

It can be done as I have it on mine. I have a place up the road from me that rebuilds starters and alternator that found a way to do it. It's different than the older jeeps I know but about all I can tell you. I was having issues with the computer dropping voltage to around 10 and sometimes would hold and other times it would come back up. Been running it like this for a couple years without an issue other than the battery light is on. I'll take a pic of what I have to see if that helps

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

nsbluesman

It can be done as I have it on mine. I have a place up the road from me that rebuilds starters and alternator that found a way to do it. It's different than the older jeeps I know but about all I can tell you. I was having issues with the computer dropping voltage to around 10 and sometimes would hold and other times it would come back up. Been running it like this for a couple years without an issue other than the battery light is on. I'll take a pic of what I have to see if that helps

I just got an email back from the guys that sell the kits and I guess I need a modified driver for the alternator, I think I will have a look and see if there are any rebuilders around here and see what they can do.. maybe they can add the modification for me. Thanks

metalic

I just got an email back from the guys that sell the kits and I guess I need a modified driver for the alternator, I think I will have a look and see if there are any rebuilders around here and see what they can do.. maybe they can add the modification for me. Thanks
20170607_154144.jpg 20170607_154153.jpg
There's 5 wires on that lil chrome box. 1 grounds to body of alternator
1 to power wire
1 goes inside alternator
1 goes to the excite terminal where the pcm connected
1 is left alone

nsbluesman

View attachment 262359 View attachment 262360
There's 5 wires on that lil chrome box. 1 grounds to body of alternator
1 to power wire
1 goes inside alternator
1 goes to the excite terminal where the pcm connected
1 is left alone

I don't suppose you have a part number that's visible on the external silver box? That would be great!!

I knew it could be done, so basically did they change it to a one wire system? All that is connected is the silver box as described then the charge cable from the alt to battery positive?

Cheers

nsbluesman

I don't suppose you have a part number that's visible on the external silver box? That would be great!!

I knew it could be done, so basically did they change it to a one wire system? All that is connected is the silver box as described then the charge cable from the alt to battery positive?

Cheers

Also: would you be able to tell me what color wire goes where? trying to figure it out...

nsbluesman

Think I have it sorted out...

Black to ground
Red to B+
Green to field terminal
Yellow to inside alternator to Stator Ps
Orange Not used ( would be light..)

Looks like the regulator is a Delco conversion voltage regulator by Regitar USA part number should be something like D714SE

a hunting I will go..

metalic

Think I have it sorted out...

Black to ground
Red to B+
Green to field terminal
Yellow to inside alternator to Stator Ps
Orange Not used ( would be light..)

Looks like the regulator is a Delco conversion voltage regulator by Regitar USA part number should be something like D714SE

a hunting I will go..

Let me know if you need anything else.

I tried to hook up the other wire hooked to pcm to see if it would recognize voltage and shut light off but it won't. I do get 2 codes in system one for high voltage and one for low voltage but who cares it's charging. I've ran a cig lighter volt gauge for awhile to see what voltage was doing and everything was holding.

nsbluesman

Let me know if you need anything else.

I tried to hook up the other wire hooked to pcm to see if it would recognize voltage and shut light off but it won't. I do get 2 codes in system one for high voltage and one for low voltage but who cares it's charging. I've ran a cig lighter volt gauge for awhile to see what voltage was doing and everything was holding.

Ah the joys of living in Nova Scotia.... no one lists a single wire conversion voltage regulator so off to online ordering we go. Stopped by a local alternator shop and was told the alternator guy is on vacation till Tuesday. I am not giving up..

nsbluesman

FIXED..... NEW PCM/ECU whatever you call it......

So after all my efforts in trying to bypass the damn VR with no luck, I managed to find a used ECU in Quebec, local locksmith flashed the VIN number etc for me and all is good.

There is a way to bypass the ECU voltage regulator but I couldn't find any parts locally and it was quicker to just buy a used ECU. It's funny I asked on another forum and was told the VR is in the canbus end of story... I also looked at having an alternator guy modify the new alternator to be a one wire system which would have worked but to be self exciting it wouldn't charge anything till after 2000 rpm... had visions of idling in traffic and watching the battery drain.

Thanks for all the advice folks,

Cheers from Nova Scotia

WJCO

Meme King
Glad it's fixed. So I assume that you still had to use an external regulator as well, correct?

nsbluesman

Glad it's fixed. So I assume that you still had to use an external regulator as well, correct?

No, the voltage regulator in the new (used) ecu was fine, it's charging at 14.3 volts.. just had a bit of fun with the sentry system but got that sorted by the locksmith and his software.. all good.

Top Bottom