front Unit bearing

Hammmerhead

Anyone experience one of these on the way out? I'm not feeling a lot of obvious play, even with the brake caliper off, although it doesn't take much for them to be gone I think. Sometimes I feel a vibration when pulling my boat The boat makes the back end sit about an inch lower and I thought maybe this is causing the bearing to ride differently, but maybe that's impossible. I can let off the gas or move the wheel some and it seems to go away.

The biggest reason is that this tire which is the passenger side seems to hunt more on uneven pavement. Ball joints are less than a year old and cant find slack anywhere in steering.
I only feel the vibration pulling the boat in the past and it doesn't always do it, but today, I think I felt it a little bit while not pulling it. No strange wear on front driveshaft or anything, but vibration is in gas pedal and seat and usually just happens on interstate.

Boat is not large. Just a 50 horsepower alum. Bass Tracker

2015 with 18K miles, EVO bolt on CO kit and 40's.

Thanks

Last edited:
J

JKDream

Anyone experience one of these on the way out? I'm not feeling a lot of obvious play, even with the brake caliper off, although it doesn't take much for them to be gone I think. Sometimes I feel a vibration when pulling my boat The boat makes the back end sit about an inch lower and I thought maybe this is causing the bearing to ride differently, but maybe that's impossible. I can let off the gas or move the wheel some and it seems to go away. The biggest reason is that this tire which is the passenger side seems to hunt more on uneven pavement. Ball joints are less than a year old.

2015 with 18K miles, EVO bolt on CO kit and 40's.

Thanks

Safe to assume you are still running factory axles on those 40s?
The amount of play in a unit bearing that determines whether or not it's bad is very small, you probably wouldn't see it without a dial indicator, unless it was REALLY bad.

WJCO

Meme King
You should check for play with tires on. Also check for play in ujoints on rear driveshaft, and check for play at pinion yokes.

Top Bottom