Steps over Rock Rail?

Jacalore

I have a 2 door X that I installed Rubi rock rails. After the lift and larger tires, I'm thinking about running boards or steps. I'd like to keep the rails (dislike exposed pinch seam) and add running boards or steps over/with them. Possible? Suggestions?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I personally don't like steps at all, they hang low and rob you of ground clearance. I am with you on covering the pinch seam even if it's just for looks, I used to love my rubi rails but now I run Poison spyder brawlers. If you are having trouble getting in your lifted jeep some grab bars might be a good option to help you pull yourself up. I have a set of synergy grab bars front and back.
As far as making the rubi rails work with a step I am sure you can find something that will work, but most likely will have to be welded onto the frame. Or maybe you can look for a step that also covers the pinch seam.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I have a 2 door X that I installed Rubi rock rails. After the lift and larger tires, I'm thinking about running boards or steps. I'd like to keep the rails (dislike exposed pinch seam) and add running boards or steps over/with them. Possible? Suggestions?

Only issue is if you use the Jeep on the rocks, you'll smash the steps up. The LOD signature sliders may meet your needs as they come with a step and are a slider as well, however, they still show the pinch seam a little. You also could get any slider and paint the pinch seam black to hide it.

IMG_20170304_140522_833.jpg

IMG_20170304_140606_504.jpg

Last edited:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Only issue is if you use the Jeep on the rocks, you'll smash the steps up. The LOD signature sliders may meet your needs as they come with a step and are a slider as well, however, they still show the pinch seam a little. You also could get any slider and paint the pinch seam black to hide it.

View attachment 262439

View attachment 262440

Those look really nice on there. They only question I have is, why aren't they pink?

Jacalore

I've located a pair of Sahara running boards, which have a step built in. Would they work, to cover pinch seam and an step?

No protection tho, I think they're plastic?

Napalm

I've located a pair of Sahara running boards, which have a step built in. Would they work, to cover pinch seam and an step?

No protection tho, I think they're plastic?

They will cover the pinch seems asthetically but that's about it. You'll have no protection on the trail.

I run the Mopar Enchanced Rock rails. They have a bar built in that my wife uses as a step on occasion and I use when putting my soft top back on. I'd recommend them if you can find them second hand.

You can see them pretty well in this photo.
IMG_2886.jpg
IMG_2097.jpg

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
They will cover the pinch seems asthetically but that's about it. You'll have no protection on the trail.

I run the Mopar Enchanced Rock rails. They have a bar built in that my wife uses as a step on occasion and I use when putting my soft top back on. I'd recommend them if you can find them second hand.

You can see them pretty well in this photo.
View attachment 262463
View attachment 262464

At one time, I think Genright offered a kit that you could weld onto your factory regular rubicon edition rock rails that would make them like the enhanced version. The kit even had some steps. Don't know how well of a kit it was and don't know if they even still offer it. Haven't looked at their website in quite some time.

Is it possible to leave Rubi rock rails in place, and add Sahara running boards?

Nope.

Jacalore

I'm debating with myself... (win some, lose some)... my Jeep is mostly a beach buggy, but I hate giving up the protection of rock rails (I live down the road from a couple state forests with 4x4 trails - altho, not many rocks in SoJerz). Still, it's piece of mind. So, the dilemma is snag the Sahara running boards for $100 or spend a whole lot more on extended sliders... the jury's still out.

cashin

I doubt it, judging by his random video and having the factory rubicon rails before it looks like they both mount at the same location on the pinch seam.
https://youtu.be/jkKUM01rBHQ

Moore hide a step works with Ruby rails and are removable when wanted.
Those look really nice on there. They only question I have is, why aren't they pink?

Sent from my LG-P769 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jacalore

I may have found the answer... BARRICADE ROCK SLIDERS
Here's a couple photos that show both rails and sliders mounted
BARRICADE ROCK SLIDERS.jpg BARRICADE ROCK SLIDERS2.jpg

Napalm

I may have found the answer... BARRICADE ROCK SLIDERS
Here's a couple photos that show both rails and sliders mounted
View attachment 262473 View attachment 262474

If these are like the ACE sliders and mount to the body mounts, you need to be careful with them. If you use these to pivot your rig on a rock or hit them hard enough, you'll push your Rubi rail up into the tub causing damage. Just something to think about....

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug

View attachment 262439

View attachment 262440

These are the type of step I would have suggested as well. As for dealing with the pinch seam, I would recommend painting it simple black before installing the sliders and it will blend in with the undercarriage.

Jacalore

Dont see myself pivoting on any rocks ... not in my area. Thinking I'll snag those used Sahara running boards. Altho I'm used to using the grab bar and swinging into the jeep, others have probs.

Good day on the beach... 20170609_214930.jpg

Top Bottom