Half Door Paint Options - Help me decide!

How to color match my half doors?

• Color-matched PowderCoat

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Color-matched Vinyl Wrap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color-matched Auto Paint

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napalm

So instead of cluttering up my already cluttered build thread with this, figured I'd post this up in a quick thread for opinions as to not make a mistake. I've never had anything painted/powdercoated before, so i'm looking for opinions and thoughts on these three choices. Trying to get the most durable, and long lasting. Trying to get it figured out over the weekend so I can drop them off on Monday! Thanks for yall's help and thanks if you vote in the poll I posted! :)

Here's what I found out!

Paint (Est $600-900) - Surprisingly, All the paint & body shops I went to stated that they could not paint the doors. This is because they are mostly only in the business of collision repair. They told me I'd need to find a custom paint shop but that I'd be looking in a ballpark of $600-$700 on the low end for the doors colormatched most likely.

Vinyl Wrap ($600) - I spoke to my Vinyl guy and he stated that it would be a very difficult job. He stated he couldn't wrap the entire door just the outside. He did have a perfect color match and quoted me $600 for all four doors.
IMG_2963.jpg
IMG_2965.jpg

Powdercoat ($250)- There is a small powder coating and sandblasting shop just down the road from my house. He's been recommended to me by some in the area. While he can't offer a perfect match, he offered up this one for me as the best that he could do. He said with a clear coat, it would darken it slightly and maybe match a little better. He quoted me $250 for all four inside and out for powdercoat and clear coat. He said it would take about a week.
IMG_2959.jpg
IMG_2960.jpg
IMG_2961.jpg

Last edited:
J

JKDream

So instead of cluttering up my already cluttered build thread with this, figured I'd post this up in a quick thread for opinions as to not make a mistake. I've never painted/powdercoated something before, so i'm looking for opinions and thoughts on these three choices. Trying to get the most durable, and long lasting. Trying to get it figured out over the weekend so I can drop them off on Monday! Thanks for yall's help and thanks if you vote in the poll I posted. :)

I'd personally go the powder coat route purely for the durability.
Every time I've taken my doors off I've bumped them/knocked them on something putting them away.

Napalm

I'd personally go the powder coat route purely for the durability.
Every time I've taken my doors off I've bumped them/knocked them on something putting them away.

I too do this and the durability is something that appeals to me on and off the trail.

If you can deal with the slight color difference, I'd go with the powder coat for durability.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm really having a difficult time wrapping my head spending an extra $500 for a perfect match...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I'm really having a difficult time wrapping my head spending an extra $500 for a perfect match...

Lol. Same here, that's why I've stuck with black as a complimentary color for the most part. Easier to touch up myself. 😎

I found a company that nailed my color-match in a rattle can when black is too much.

Napalm

Lol. Same here, that's why I've stuck with black as a complimentary color for the most part. Easier to touch up myself. [emoji41]

I found a company that nailed my color-match in a rattle can when black is too much.

Yeah, they have to be color matched for two reasons. One, the paint on them from Bestop sucks and literally scratches if I even think about touching it. Second, the wife says they gotta be silver ;)

JKU Arizona

I went through this when i purchased my half doors. Luckily we have a finisher at work and his my uncle. Well what i found out about the color silver is that its an expensive color to mix up. The paint supplier had 3 levels of paints the lower one was cheaper and the higher one more expensive. I went with the one in the middle. But the more expensive one the sample match was almost a perfect match. I bought 1 pint of paint it was over $100 plus clearcoat hardener ect.. also it won't be a 100% match unless they blend it to your jeep. Keep in mind is new paint vs older paint on your Jeep.

The poweder coat sounds like a deal. I would pay them for a sample to make sure you'll be happy with it before paying them to do all your doors. 20160707_122315.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Most cars these days have bumpers that are painted off the vehicle and shipped in for assembly. Look at any group of cars at the grocery store and you'll see the facias, spoilers and other parts are not a 100% match from the factory. Most people don't notice a slight difference. You have to determine how much "slight" you can handle. I usually pay a little more because I don't want to do it twice. Then again, you can always get it close enough and put the giant WAYALIFE stickers on both sides and people will focus on that. How may people ever notice Rubicat's doors are just a tiny bit darker?

20170604173850-f946719b-me.jpg

Last edited:

Napalm

I went through this when i purchased my half doors. Luckily we have a finisher at work and his my uncle. Well what i found out about the color silver is that its an expensive color to mix up. The paint supplier had 3 levels of paints the lower one was cheaper and the higher one more expensive. I went with the one in the middle. But the more expensive one the sample match was almost a perfect match. I bought 1 pint of paint it was over $100 plus clearcoat hardener ect.. also it won't be a 100% match unless they blend it to your jeep. Keep in mind is new paint vs older paint on your Jeep.

The poweder coat sounds like a deal. I would pay them for a sample to make sure you'll be happy with it before paying them to do all your doors. View attachment 262635

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Most cars these days have bumpers that are painted off the vehicle and shipped in for assembly. Look at any group of cars at the grocery store and you'll see the facias, spoilers and other parts are not a 100% match from the factory. Most people don't notice a slight difference. You have to determine how much "slight" you can handle. I usually pay a little more because I don't want to do it twice. Then again, you can always get it close enough and put the giant WAYALIFE stickers on both sides and people will focus on that. How may people ever notice Rubicat's doors are just a tiny bit darker?

View attachment 262637

These are both great points here. I didn't think about matching brand new paint vs. old paint and etc. Definately one of the drawbacks of adding freshly painted parts, but also pushes me in the direction of the powdercoat!

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Powdercoat is really great and the point made earlier about handling the doors is quite valid. I got a tiny chip in the paint at the top of one of my rear doors bringing it in the house. An easy fix but wouldn't have happened with powdercoat.

Napalm

Powdercoat is really great and the point made earlier about handling the doors is quite valid. I got a tiny chip in the paint at the top of one of my rear doors bringing it in the house. An easy fix but wouldn't have happened with powdercoat.

Yeah, I constantly chip the bottom of my doors and the hinges. Since these will be my primary trail doors, durability is something on my mind.

Why not ask the new buyer of these what they want when they sell?

You know that there is a sad truth to this that I've thought about leaving them unfinished for awhile to make sure I'm gonna keep em. You guys know me too well :) haha.

heck could even ask em what color but i still say powdercoat em .. that fella down the road does good work and i will be a repeat customer .. sliders, wheels ,bumpers he did em all on my rig

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

you know already where i stand on this ..i say powdercoating em is the way to go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah, Tim seems like a nice guys and showed me some of his work that he was fixing to give to another customer. He told me it may not be a perfect paint match after clear coat but what it lacks in color matching it will make up in durability. Do you have any close up shots of his work on your JKU?

mo0s3

View attachment 262637

Haha I didn't even notice

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Yeah, I constantly chip the bottom of my doors and the hinges. Since these will be my primary trail doors, durability is something on my mind.

You know that there is a sad truth to this that I've thought about leaving them unfinished for awhile to make sure I'm gonna keep em. You guys know me too well :) haha.

Yeah, Tim seems like a nice guys and showed me some of his work that he was fixing to give to another customer. He told me it may not be a perfect paint match after clear coat but what it lacks in color matching it will make up in durability. Do you have any close up shots of his work on your JKU?

what sort ya want wheels ? bumpers? sliders you name it I can snap a pic of any of em or all if ya want here is some I got currently just ignore the dirt lol 20170406_105217.jpg DSC_2599.jpg 20170407_183759.jpg

and here is one pre sliders and perhaps the cleanest it has ever been from the day I picked it up 20160411_102918.jpg

Top Bottom