Flat Towing Setup for a JK

Blackhawkip

I did this awhile ago but thought it may be useful to those who are considering flat towing their Jeep. I've had it on now for over 3 years and ~5000 miles. I have a 2011 32' Class C and a 2013 Rubicon. I spent countless hours scouring every website while trying to figure out the best way to tow my Jeep. My immediate need was to tow it from Kentucky to California for a move which would be over 2100 miles.
I did not like the look of the base plates that reduced the approach angle of the Jeep while 4-wheeling. I also wanted a complete system that included a brake and light system.
This is what I ended put buying and installing myself. I am not a mechanic but am smart enough to know the correct end of a wrench that goes on the bolt. The following is what I purchased:
1-Currie Base plate-part number CE-9033JK
2-ReadyBrute Baseplate Mounting Ends Blue Ox Clevis (S511-940445)
3-JK Tow harness Deluxe Kit
4-Ready-Brute Elite Tow bar
5-Roadmaster 10K 8" Drop receiver
6-Receiver lock bracket

2014-04-27 11.44.33.jpg

Last edited:

Blackhawkip

A picture showing how well the Currie plate is tucked into the factory bumper. I currently run the AEV front bumper and it works just as well.

2014-04-18 09.41.27.jpg

IMG_0068.jpeg

Last edited:

Blackhawkip

This shows where I entered into the frame rail from he left rear corner where the harness plugs into the factory harness.

2014-04-18 09.39.07.jpg

Last edited:

Blackhawkip

I kept the wire bundle inside the frame rail to the front left wheel where I pulled it out through a factory opening.

2014-04-18 09.40.03.jpg

Last edited:

Blackhawkip

I zip tied the wire bundle to the factory brake lines on the top of the front left tire frame rail. I then ran the bundle to come out behind the currie plate.

2014-04-18 09.39.25.jpg

Last edited:

Blackhawkip

This picture shows the entry of the brake cable into the curry plate. I cut the plastic ferrel at the same angle as the curry plate so it would be parallel with the ground when coming out the front.

2014-04-18 08.49.59.jpg

2014-04-18 08.50.24.jpg

Last edited:

Blackhawkip

You can see how I cut the curry plate to fit the 7-prong plug. I found it easiest to cut the "FJ" stamp out and use it as my initial "hole". I placed the brake hole just above it for a cleaner look. I am really happy with the decision and think it turned out professional looking.

2014-04-18 08.49.46.jpg

2014-04-18 08.50.11.jpg

Last edited:

Blackhawkip

This is a close-up of the tow bar attached to the drop bar. The 10K rating of the drop bar is overkill since the limiting factor is the 5K limit of my RV.

2014-04-18 08.49.33.jpg

Last edited:

Blackhawkip

Hope this helps if you are looking to flat tow. Some additional highlights from my install:

-Installing the curry plate and the brake assembly for the Ready-Brute is simple and the instructions are easy to follow so I won't go into those installation steps.

-One thing of note, which was frustrating, was the Ready-Brute clevises had to be filed to go onto the curry plate. The tolerances were way off on the Curry and it took a little effort to hand file the openings wide enough on the clevises to slide onto the curry mounts. Once it was done though they are an easy install.

-I can easily hookup the tow bar by myself and the Ready-Brute is a work of art as far as engineering is concerned. Extremely well made and functionally perfect.

-BTW, you will want to add a stabilizer bracket for the drop hitch. If you don't, it has too much "play" and wobbles around a LOT!

-My RV has the Triton V10, I kept my speed at 65-70 and ran I-40 across the country traveling the 2100 plus miles. My average mpg was 7.1 (which is abysmal) but it ran and pulled okay. Pulling hills is at best 45mph on grades greater than 3%.

-My RV is on the larger side of the Class C family so is heavy and figure I was right at the 5K limit pulling the Jeep.

whispike

I have this exact same setup but I use a Blue Ox tow bar and an RVi brake system. Even use the same Roadmaster drop hitch. Have been using it for a few years now and it has worked flawlessly!
I would definitely recommend this setup to someone looking to flat tow their Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

4wk9carrier

I also didn’t want the base plate look and clearance issues so I opted to replace my Ribicon stack bumper with a Rockhard4x4 bumper with tow attachments. I have the blue ox aventa lx tow bar. Same road master riser and blue ox brake buddy 2. IMG_8384.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

igoslow

^^Nice bumper & winch! I will flat tow with rv also, pretty much narrowed it down to LoD or RH4x4 but somewhat apprehensive with bolt on tow brackets vs welded. Did you do anything additional to your tow brackets (ie spot weld)?

Top Bottom