JK Tailgate replace

Smokie322

So I caught my spare on a ledge while wheeling and twisted my tailgate. I have a new one painted and ready to install. I have been looking on youtube for a good video to follow on putting the new one on but have not found one.

Has any one replaced theirs? is it easy?

Mainly concerned about getting the power locks and door handles set up right.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jacalore

My tailgate is damaged also. Someone must've backed into my spare and crinkled the outer metal shell at the mount. I've seen replacements on eBay, not cheap tho.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
My son accidentally smacked into my buddy's jeep on the trail.

After getting a price for a MOPAR tailgate from my go-to parts dept., I then called several body shops on quotes to paint it. Unfortunately, not a single one would give me a good quote unless I brought the tailgate (and the Jeep) to them.

I took a chance and bought one of the painted MOPAR tailgates off eBay from a seller by the name of mbiauto for $422 shipped. Ordered/paid March 18th and it arrived March 31st. It was packaged well, not a single scratch or damage, and the paint was perfect. Unfortunately, Chrysler reuses paint codes on their colors (example: Hydro Blue (PBJ) uses the same code as a previous color thats not even close.) I had it repainted and it cost me $300. The seller took full responsibility and refunded the cost of paint from the eBay transaction with no back and forth.

EDIT: Looks like they're still selling them on eBay for $390. Go for it!

DF1EE60E-863C-43E5-88ED-E5A648E3BD4A_zpsdm2bzcxc.jpg
E5DCAC10-60E9-48BC-B60A-331AB352E356_zpsrruy2rfc.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom