New 4.5" lift now 4wd grinding issues

toolock

Just got a 4.5" game changer high steer lift in my jkur and first time using 4wd I had front and rear grinding and clunking. I'm not a mechanic just basic stuff and wondered what the hell the noises could be coming from. Any help would be awesome. BTW, I'm getting these noises in 4wd low and high, never did it with the old lift.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
That's a tough one. I can't imagine anything that would cause that just from putting on the lift. The driveshafts are spinning even in 2wd so if say the front shaft was hitting the exhaust, it should make noise anytime you move. Did you put on an aftermarket driveshaft. Don't know enough about it from experience, but I read you have to be careful changing out the yolks. Like not try to hammer the old one off or bash the new one on. Supposedly you can damage the transfer case. Still, it's odd.

Edit: maybe check the transfer case cable. Maybe it got loose or damaged while putting in the new kit. Maybe the case isn't fully engaging.

Last edited:

6.4 Hemi JK

Check the Drive shaft , we had to charge the front drive shaft when they installed the 4.5 game changer on my jeep .
Hope that helps
Btw in my opinion one of the best lifts you can get mine handles amazing on the road and even more amazing off road and on the rocks ...

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

chitown35

LOSER
How did you go about engaging 4wd?

When did you hear the noises? All the time or just when articulated?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

6.4 Hemi JK

Where I had my jeep built , he told me when they shifted it to 4x it made a clunky noise and when he tried to drive it it was more of a grind . He switched out the drive shaft to a longer one and noise is gone ....

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

toolock

well long story short i trusted an "authorized" dealer to install my lift due to time constraints and they totally screwed it up, too the extent that the pass. lower control arm almost fell out of the mounting bracket:eek: had them reorder the whole lift and suspension and im putting in myself. as far as the 4wd issue goes i think that the geometry was so f*@ked up that it dident allow the 4wd to fully engage thus the grinding issue. hope to have all smoothed over by next week. thanks for the advise and help i always can rely on you guys and gals for help.

aermotor

4WD will engage no matter how F'ed up your lift is. It is a pure mechanical linkage that engages it. Something doesn't sound right.

Ddays

Hooked
Fucked up geometry and a loose CA don't have anything to do with how your transfer case engages. You have a driveline issue, not a suspension issue. Buying a complete new lift won't cure anything. You need to figure what is grinding and clunking before you throw more money at your Jeep. :twocents:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Fucked up geometry and a loose CA don't have anything to do with how your transfer case engages. You have a driveline issue, not a suspension issue. Buying a complete new lift won't cure anything. You need to figure what is grinding and clunking before you throw more money at your Jeep. :twocents:

Totally agree. I lifted mine 4.5" on Ave lift, which actually gave me like 5.25" lift with a factory front driveshaft that I ran until it broke. Even then no grinding noise just a little tick/tack noise when backing up at slow speed and vibration at highway speeds.
IMG_3502.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
OP, how do you engage on 4wd? For me for example I sometimes have to pull the 4x4 lever then hold it with slight pressure on it, them with my other hand put it back to drive to fully engage 4x4 low

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Were you able to drive around when you were hearing the grinding or are you saying that as soon as you shifted into 4WD, you heard a grinding sound?

toolock

i can shift into 4wd high and drivearound but i get a grinding sound from the front, but in 4 low i get that same sound in the front plus some popping in the back and its harder than normal to steer, this is all on loose gravel. dont know what to think im at a total loss here.

toolock

i had no problem last year, drove all the way to moab wheeled for a week, drove home to wisconsin, used the jeep every day in high and low 4wd no problems, just after the lift was put in there seems to be a failure somewhere.

toolock

thanks guys for the advice and feedback it always is good to know you have someone to bounce ??'s off of.

Top Bottom