External speaker for cb

13JKUR

I'm sure this has been discussed but I figured I would ask again. I'm purchasing the cool tech package with the cobra 75 with fire stick antenna. I would like to get an external speaker to hear the chatter better. Any recommendations on what to buy and where to mount the speaker (pictures would be helpful). Thanks guys!

MTG

Caught the Bug
MTG has a custom mount for his external speaker with his 75. Maybe he will post it up.

LOL!

Yep, the night before I left for KOH I decided to mount the speaker. Not having time to make a mount I decided to...uh...improvise. Let me know if you need a write-up. :cheesy:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1360542747.537015.jpg

Seriously. It worked so good (bouncing through the desert at around 50 mph) I doubt I'll bother to change it. LOL!

13JKUR

I think I need a write up lol. Nice job! Does it work good for hearing people better? I was actually thinking making something to attach a speaker to the freedom top bar above the rear view mirror.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I think I need a write up lol. Nice job! Does it work good for hearing people better? I was actually thinking making something to attach a speaker to the freedom top bar above the rear view mirror.

LOL!

I looked there too and think it will work if you do not have a hard top.

Yes. It makes a huge difference! Here is the one I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-HG-S500...-1&keywords=Cobra+HG+S500+Highgear+CB+Speaker

LoPo mounted his on the speaker bar. I think there is a picture on here.

13JKUR

Thanks! I do have a hardtop so maybe that won't work. Oh well I should be able to come up with something. Thanks for the input!

RamP

I've seen people cut the foam in the roll bar right next to the sound bar on the drivers side. Then install the speaker there and re attach the Velcro cover. I was thinking of trying this myself.

gouacats

I got a cheap one (<$10) off of eBay. Works fine. I have mine zip tied to the roll bar right over my head. My buddy has his, as mentioned above, in the roll bar padding over the driver's left hand shoulder. I don't think he had to remove any foam for that. I have my garage door opener there, or I would have done the same thing.

wetfootnw

I've seen people cut the foam in the roll bar right next to the sound bar on the drivers side. Then install the speaker there and re attach the Velcro cover. I was thinking of trying this myself.

Thats where I put my external speaker. The Uniden Compact 5-Watt Speaker, works perfect after cutting out a little foam.

13JKUR

Question....is there enough wire with the speaker to run it to the cb brain? I'm very new at CB's so not sure how this all works. But I'll learn a lot in about a week :)

gouacats

Question....is there enough wire with the speaker to run it to the cb brain? I'm very new at CB's so not sure how this all works. But I'll learn a lot in about a week :)

Same here...had to pick up an extension from radio shack.

BoneShkr

^^ There wasn't for me but I just picked up an extension from radio shack.

Radio shack is a joke around the Hudson Valley area. Their a glorified cell phone carrier. And their stores don't carry any of the stuff they used to.
On line is about your best bet to get what you need electronically. And the local Mom & Pop hardware store will go the extra mile to help you out with the mounts or any of your hardware needs.

AlpineGlider

I mounted a little 2 3/4" speaker to the footman loop over the rear-view mirror.

Image18.jpg

I had to cut into the horizontal black plastic piece that runs along the top of the windshield in order to make room for the speaker bracket; but it looks fairly clean.

here's what it looked like when the speaker was mounted, but I hadn't reattached the flip-down sun visor yet. Note that the rotating black handle still moves freely in order to latch on to the footman loop.
Image22.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom