Advice wanted

SaskJeeps

20170613_205415.jpg
20170503_080828.jpg
I love my 75th anniversary Jku in sarge green but a few months ago a minivan decided to cut me off and i got in an collision. luckily no one was hurt, and the jeep was repaired. I then noticed this orange peel on the hood, how could that be fixed, if fixable? Side note, would you guys keep a vehicle if it was part off a collision or would you trade it off? 20170127_082902.jpg 20170127_082909.jpg

holliewood61

Wet sanding it would be the way to go. I would start with a 1500 grit, then hit it with a 2500 grit. Get out a d-a style buffer. Start with a cutting polish, then move to a rubbing compound, then a final buff with a quality wax

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
View attachment 263458
View attachment 263459
I love my 75th anniversary Jku in sarge green but a few months ago a minivan decided to cut me off and i got in an collision. luckily no one was hurt, and the jeep was repaired. I then noticed this orange peel on the hood, how could that be fixed, if fixable? Side note, would you guys keep a vehicle if it was part off a collision or would you trade it off? View attachment 263461 View attachment 263462
Honestly I'd get a hold of the body shop who repaired it. Most warranty their work. Orange peel in a few months sounds like they did something wrong. My ex father in law owns a body shop and offered 12 months. You are not supposed to wax fresh paint for 30-45 days to allow off gassing and paint hardening. Did you wax it? Did they deliver if to you waxed?

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I'd also take it back to the repair shop first to see if they will do anything about it. If not you may want to see if they will at least give you a break on getting rid of that orange peel. Especially if you are not comfortable doing that yourself. It's not hard to do but if you've never done that kind of work before it can be intimidating taking sandpaper to your paint.

As far as your question about keeping a vehicle that's been in a wreck: Speaking firsthand, I wouldn't worry about it. That didn't look like too bad of a hit. Being that Jeeps are body on frame construction they can take more abuse in a collision than a unibody vehicle and still be ok. Even in a more serious collision frames can be repaired. I t-boned a kid that pulled in front of me 2 years ago and ended up having a brand new frame put under mine. body damage was fairly minimal. I had a couple issues when I first got it back but zero problems after. You should be just fine with it.

Edit: looking back at the front end pic that was a harder hit than I originally thought. Your hit looked similar to mine and my frame "diamoned" or in other words one side was pushed back about 3-4 inches further than the other. Yours actually looks like one side is pushed back similarly. But still, as long as the shop took the time to check and straighten the frame you should still be ok. There's a couple guys on here that are involved in theinsurance industry - hopefully one of them can chime in here as well.

Last edited:
I'd also take it back to the repair shop first to see if they will do anything about it. If not you may want to see if they will at least give you a break on getting rid of that orange peel. Especially if you are not comfortable doing that yourself. It's not hard to do but if you've never done that kind of work before it can be intimidating taking sandpaper to your paint.

As far as your question about keeping a vehicle that's been in a wreck: Speaking firsthand, I wouldn't worry about it. That didn't look like too bad of a hit. Being that Jeeps are body on frame construction they can take more abuse in a collision than a unibody vehicle and still be ok. Even in a more serious collision frames can be repaired. I t-boned a kid that pulled in front of me 2 years ago and ended up having a brand new frame put under mine. body damage was fairly minimal. I had a couple issues when I first got it back but zero problems after. You should be just fine with it.

Edit: looking back at the front end pic that was a harder hit than I originally thought. Your hit looked similar to mine and my frame "diamoned" or in other words one side was pushed back about 3-4 inches further than the other. Yours actually looks like one side is pushed back similarly. But still, as long as the shop took the time to check and straighten the frame you should still be ok. There's a couple guys on here that are involved in theinsurance industry - hopefully one of them can chime in here as well.

This ^^^. I ran a detail shop for about 5 years and although not hard to do, wet sanding and then properly buffing and polishing to bring it back, is time consuming and it is easy to go through the clear coat. And at that point the body shop will tell you to pound sand and then you're right back to square one.

Welcome to WAL.

zimm

Caught the Bug
especially if carfax has a recorded "accident" for your jeep. You can kiss resale goodbye. Better off keeping it.

Top Bottom