Rubbing issue with ATX Slabs and 40" tires

Smoot_JK

I recently installed 20" ATX Slabs on 40x15.5 tires and I am rubbing on the frame rails. Will adjusting the steer stops fix the problem?

SDG

Caught the Bug
Your problem is you are running super wide tires on factory width axles. Most people running 40s are on full width axles.

I will not point out the obvious, but another solution, lol, you could run wheel spacers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Smoot_JK

I figured it was because of the stock axle width. I'm definitely not going to add spacers to the already heavy-ass tires. I was running 13.5s before and wasn't close to having any issues. Looks like I will go back to the old set up until I get new axles, which won't be on Guam because of shipping prices.

I was having rubbing when i was running 37x12.50 tires on my stock rear and front PR44. I added 1.5" spacers and that fixed the issue. However, you will not want to run spacers with 40x15.50 tires and stock axles. You really want to be careful running tires that big on stock axles altogether...as others have mentioned, to prevent breakage (more important than rubbing), you will want full width axles - and this will fix your rubbing issues at the same time.

deezus

Are you really running these massive tires on factory axles?? :shock:
And massive rims. Well maybe its a mall crawler.
I was having rubbing when i was running 37x12.50 tires on my stock rear and front PR44. I added 1.5" spacers and that fixed the issue. However, you will not want to run spacers with 40x15.50 tires and stock axles. You really want to be careful running tires that big on stock axles altogether...as others have mentioned, to prevent breakage (more important than rubbing), you will want full width axles - and this will fix your rubbing issues at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

They're 20's, the same size pretty much everyone with 40's runs.
I wouldn't assume the worst, the guy is stationed in Guam and is planning on tons lol.

Smoot_JK

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

They're 20's, the same size pretty much everyone with 40's runs.
I wouldn't assume the worst, the guy is stationed in Guam and is planning on tons lol.

Yeah, it's a struggle getting quality parts shipped out here in a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable price. I still have the 37s that I will throw on when I wheel...

tgoss

Yeah, it's a struggle getting quality parts shipped out here in a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable price. I still have the 37s that I will throw on when I wheel...

That does make complete sense. If I were you (assuming you're ordering Dynatrac's) I would still order the axles and have them stored in the states so you can swap them in sooner than later if that's an option instead of getting here and waiting 3-4 months afterwards.

Smoot_JK

That does make complete sense. If I were you (assuming you're ordering Dynatrac's) I would still order the axles and have them stored in the states so you can swap them in sooner than later if that's an option instead of getting here and waiting 3-4 months afterwards.

That's what I was going to do...I still have 8 months left here and it takes about 2 months for the Jeep to get shipped back to the states. So I have plenty of time before I order the axles.

Top Bottom