Wait To Do Long Arm?

whytiptoe

So I have my EVO bolt on coils and have a few more thing to get before I can install them. My question is do I just get adjustable arms for now to save a little cash and later down the road get the long arms. I know the only advantage from long arm is HWY driving, well this is my DD and I drive 25 miles each way 75-80 mph 5 days a week. This is my main reason for wanting to getting the long arms for my jeep. How bad will the drive be with short arms at these speeds 5 days a week? Thanks in advance for your knowledge on this subject.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I run short arms on 4.5 inches with king shocks. It was daily driver for a year and a half that way. (still on short arms, just not a daily anymore) I felt like the ride was fine and if you have the BO coilovers, then you would have an even better ride than my regular coils even considering my shocks. You should be good for a while running just front lowers for caster until you upgrade. If you can afford to do it all at once you save the two hundred and some dollars on the arms, but the long arm kit is expensive and if it would be better to save a while than the short arms should be livable for the time being. You may even find you are happy and not upgrade and save a lot of money.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I have my EVO bolt on coils and have a few more thing to get before I can install them. My question is do I just get adjustable arms for now to save a little cash and later down the road get the long arms. I know the only advantage from long arm is HWY driving, well this is my DD and I drive 25 miles each way 75-80 mph 5 days a week. This is my main reason for wanting to getting the long arms for my jeep. How bad will the drive be with short arms at these speeds 5 days a week? Thanks in advance for your knowledge on this subject.

It'll be fine with short arms. You will need at minimum, adjustable front lower arms to set your caster. Rear upper arms if you're installing a new drive shaft but otherwise, I would install the coil overs now. You can always sell your adjustable arms when you're ready for long arms. Hell, you may find that you don't even need them.

whytiptoe

It'll be fine with short arms. You will need at minimum, adjustable front lower arms to set your caster. Rear upper arms if you're installing a new drive shaft but otherwise, I would install the coil overs now. You can always sell your adjustable arms when you're ready for long arms. Hell, you may find that you don't even need them.

Well if I could find me a set of used arms that would be even better. I am installing new DS when doing the install.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

I also have the by on coilover kit with (8) fully adjustable control arms. It drives great on the street and in the rocks. The only harsh ride was on washboarded dirt roads. It was harsh even aired down. I would not personally spend the money for long gone arms to daily drive. I was debating doing good them for crawling, don't want to change what works.

twoxstreem

Well if I could find me a set of used arms that would be even better. I am installing new DS when doing the install.

I am installing a long arm kit now and will have adj. short arms available if they are in good shape. I believe 6 out of the 8 arms should come off and i expect them to be in very good condition... i know the the rear uca bushings are shot but they can be replaced.... once i get the short arms back next week i'll have a better idea of how much play if any they have.

Top Bottom