Transfer case skid and rusted mount on fuel tank skid

Ktulu

After breaking two bolts I was committed to removing the factory transfer case skid. I needed it off just to put it back on correctly.

As luck would have it, the third bolt to break was at the fuel tank skid. I'm guessing the nut is welded on the fuel tank skid but that's the least of my worries. After getting the crossmember skid off, and preparing to extract broken bolts from the transmission crossmember, I noticed I may be in need of a new fuel tank skid just to reinstall my transfer case skid due to the rust.

Assuming I can get the bolts out of the crossmember, I'm hoping a large washer and nut will be enough to secure the passenger side rear leg of the transfer case skid. If I can't get the crossmember bolts out, I plan to buy the EVO version. However, everything I read makes me think I'll have to replace the factory fuel tank skid simply because the hole is weak and the nut is no longer attached.

Anyone have experience with this?

I hate rust, and living in a place where they salt the roads if it rains in the winter.

Ktulu

Admin...please move or remove this post, I didn't realize it was posted in "write ups". I meant it to go in the "Jeep JK Wrangler" forum.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

deadguy

I had the same problem. I drilled the broken bolt out and retapped the hole and replaced with another bolt that was comprable size and thread. Anti seize is your friend. (A lot of it)

Sent from a guy with a jeep

Top Bottom