My jk makes a growling sound.

cuongdyna

I have a 2012 JK that makes a growling sound. The sound come from the the front passenger side motor compartment. Then the motor warn up the sound goes away. It is so annoying.

Anyone else have this problem. I want to take to the dealer but just don't have time right now.

Dave_g

I've never had that problem with my 3.6, but it might be some sort of exhaust leak? Has it been exceptionally cold lately might have something to do with it.

MTG

Caught the Bug
If it's a rattling sound, it is likely your heating tubes located behind the glove box. If you remove your glove box and look behind, there are two silver pipes to the left. When cold they will rattle together and then stop once they heat up. The simple fix is to put something between the two pipes like a piece of radiator hose. I used a piece of old thick mountain bike tube.

Hopefully that's it. :thumb:

Good luck!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say, that's a new one for me. Thanks for posting up that tip MTG, I could see how that might be something that could rattle.

Skid_Kid

Ok so I am not going crazy! Lol. I thought I heard something, but the wife thinks I was hearing things. Checking this out when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to be clear, if you have your AC or heater set to the on position when you turn your engine on, you will hear the system purge until a closer temp to what you have set is reached. This will make a sound that is deep and low near the passenger side floor and if anything, it'll be more of a blowing sound.

Skid_Kid

Just to be clear, if you have your AC or heater set to the on position when you turn your engine on, you will hear the system purge until a closer temp to what you have set is reached. This will make a sound that is deep and low near the passenger side floor and if anything, it'll be more of a blowing sound.

Both my 2013's do that. But my JKUR makes a rattling noise also but only cold and when driving.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cuongdyna

The sound come from the front if the jeep not at the fire wall. It is noticeable when the air or the heater is on. It doesn't sound like a rattling sound but a growling sound and only happen on cold start up. When the motor warns up the sound goes away.

cuongdyna

If it's a rattling sound, it is likely your heating tubes located behind the glove box. If you remove your glove box and look behind, there are two silver pipes to the left. When cold they will rattle together and then stop once they heat up. The simple fix is to put something between the two pipes like a piece of radiator hose. I used a piece of old thick mountain bike tube.

Hopefully that's it. :thumb:

Good luck!

Can you hear it in side the jeep because you can only hear this in front on the JK?

MTG

Caught the Bug
If it is going away after warming up, I'd take 5 minutes (or less) and try the fix above. If it doesn't fix it, you've at least ruled it out. :thumb:

Another source to check if you haven't is JKF. I know there was some threads on the various noises back in the August/Sept of 2011 timeframe. If I recall there was a couple different sound issues with the 2012s, each with a different fix. Some more involved than others. :grayno:

gtony12

Caught the Bug

My Jeep sounds more like a sucking sound, blowing, sucking same thing.

cuongdyna

If it is going away after warming up, I'd take 5 minutes (or less) and try the fix above. If it doesn't fix it, you've at least ruled it out. :thumb:

Another source to check if you haven't is JKF. I know there was some threads on the various noises back in the August/Sept of 2011 timeframe. If I recall there was a couple different sound issues with the 2012s, each with a different fix. Some more involved than others. :grayno:

Yes I post on the JKF . Only one person so far reply. He has the same issue.

Ill try to get a video of the sound. I have to wait for the motor to be cold again.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
Been hearing the growling sound as well. Passenger motor compartment. There whether warm or cold. Only hear it when accelerating from a full stop to about 10mph. Mines a 2010. I do have a cai. But the noise has only been lately.
Can it be manifold related?

Top Bottom