License Plate Light

So this is for those of you that have an after market tire carrier/ have their plate in their spare tire. How have you guys rigged up the light so you're still legal? I have the crawler conceptz body mounted tire carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TonyViv

Where/what do you wire it to ?
Something in the tailgate? 3rd brake makes sense but what for the plate light?

Tony

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Where/what do you wire it to ?
Something in the tailgate? 3rd brake makes sense but what for the plate light?

Tony

Plate light is wired to passenger side brake harness. I ran the harness down the tire carrier, under the Jeep, and through a hole under the passenger side brake light. I pulled the 3rd brake light wire into the tailgate, spliced wires to it and ran it to the harness, through a hole I drilled. I put rubber grommets in the holes.

Plate light is wired to passenger side brake harness. I ran the harness down the tire carrier, under the Jeep, and through a hole under the passenger side brake light. I pulled the 3rd brake light wire into the tailgate, spliced wires to it and ran it to the harness, through a hole I drilled. I put rubber grommets in the holes.

I have a JKU with a crawler conceptz tire carrier that swings with the tire carrier, would you recommend going with the 6' or the 7' and would you recommend the quick disconnect option?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I have a JKU with a crawler conceptz tire carrier that swings with the tire carrier, would you recommend going with the 6' or the 7' and would you recommend the quick disconnect option?

I though about the quick disconnect when I did my Genright tire carrier. I don't remember on which side it disconnects but either way if you want to pull the carrier off and you have your wire running trough it, you will still need to pull it out anyway. I bough my ORO light from Genright so which ever length they sell was plenty enough to spice into the wiring on top of passenger side tail light. The instructions that came with the light tell you which wires to splice into making it really easy.

SDG

Caught the Bug
I bought the longest one they had, I think 6 feet? It has a disconnect. I needed that to get the spare off.

Same, 6' is more than enough... easy hookup because they give clear instructions. You need the quick disco, otherwise there is no way to get the spare off since the wires are threaded through the center cutout.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

bouche03

Didn't bother with a light...it's pretty unlikely a cop will make a big deal of it, and then, probably only warn you to fix it at worst. Never had an issue and never sweat worrying about something so inconsequential. Just run without a light...

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Didn't bother with a light...it's pretty unlikely a cop will make a big deal of it, and then, probably only warn you to fix it at worst. Never had an issue and never sweat worrying about something so inconsequential. Just run without a light...

Probably depends on the area. I know plenty of people that have been stopped for a tag light out. Myself included.

tdougherty81

Probably depends on the area. I know plenty of people that have been stopped for a tag light out. Myself included.

I use to get pulled over late a night coming home from work for my license plate late. 1st time I said must have just went out, I'll fix it when I get home. Get home and of course its working. 2nd time pulled over same reason. I was like ok must be an intermittent issue but every time I checked it worked. 3rd time I was getting irritated because I knew it was BS. I said do you mind If I get out and check, "no sir, stay in your vehicle". I decided to just change my route home and avoid that towns police department.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I use to get pulled over late a night coming home from work for my license plate late. 1st time I said must have just went out, I'll fix it when I get home. Get home and of course its working. 2nd time pulled over same reason. I was like ok must be an intermittent issue but every time I checked it worked. 3rd time I was getting irritated because I knew it was BS. I said do you mind If I get out and check, "no sir, stay in your vehicle". I decided to just change my route home and avoid that towns police department.

That's weird, usually all of the LEOs I've encountered were nice about it and said sure come on and take a look. Hell we've even had trailer lights screw up and the LEO said he seen them plugged in so he knew there was a problem. Stayed there on the side of the road and bs with us while we fixed them and even supplied the tape. Lol.

tdougherty81

That's weird, usually all of the LEOs I've encountered were nice about it and said sure come on and take a look. Hell we've even had trailer lights screw up and the LEO said he seen them plugged in so he knew there was a problem. Stayed there on the side of the road and bs with us while we fixed them and even supplied the tape. Lol.

It was this one particular town. Never had an issue with anyone else, I had a trailer light out as well and they helped me to fix it and get me back on the road.

Tired Bear

If you only need to light your plate, I use "Lighting Boltz" to mount the plate. They're hollow stainless allen head bolts with a led that aims down on the plate. Prewired and easy to use.

Top Bottom