Beadlocks Re-Torque Schedule/Requirements

Blackhawkip

I've read that many of you run beadlocks on your daily driver or at least run them full-time. I purchased a set of MOPAR beadlocks for my 37x13.5R17 SST Pros. I don't put a lot of miles on my Jeep but I am planning a few road trips >1000 miles round-trip in the near future. The instructions say to re-torque every 200 miles. Is this a good recommendation? Too little? Too much? Looking for "real world" insight from you guys who are running them on your DD or those who drive and not trailer your Jeeps. Any recommendations or insights you can give about running beadlocks? It's my first time and an admitted "newb".

Thanks in advance

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I don't run beadlocks so I probably shouldn't even post, but I'm going to anyway.

Every 200 miles seems a bit excessive... that's not even going 1 full tank of gas on a roadtrip. That would suck to stop 4 times a day to re-torque the bolts if you are trying to drive 800 miles/day.

Ddays

Hooked
I've read that many of you run beadlocks on your daily driver or at least run them full-time. I purchased a set of MOPAR beadlocks for my 37x13.5R17 SST Pros. I don't put a lot of miles on my Jeep but I am planning a few road trips >1000 miles round-trip in the near future. The instructions say to re-torque every 200 miles. Is this a good recommendation? Too little? Too much? Looking for "real world" insight from you guys who are running them on your DD or those who drive and not trailer your Jeeps. Any recommendations or insights you can give about running beadlocks? It's my first time and an admitted "newb".

Thanks in advance

I've had mine on since last March/April and I check mine with every oil change. I've never had them need any tightening - they've always stayed tight. Not familiar with the Mopar versions but I would expect the same with them.
It is a good idea to check a couple times after the initial install to make sure they are all tight but EVERY 200 miles seems excessive.

JeepJeep75

On my KMC Machetes, I re-torqued my ring bolts at the first 100 miles, then about 300 miles later, now I do it every oil change. I might be going a little overboard, but I raise the tire off the ground and let all the air out before checking the ring bolt torque.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Blackhawkip

Good insight on deflating. I'm driving about 600 miles at the end of the month. I'll check them several time on that trip. I think I'll incorporate the rotate, deflate, and re-torque at every oil change at each 5k as well.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Mount them up, drive 500 miles, let all the air out, re torque the ring bolts, air them back up, then rock~N~roll BABY! I still THINK about checking them every tire rotation. but the first 4 times thus far have been fine... :idontknow:

jeeeep

Hooked
I checked the torque on mine after 100 miles and that was at least 2 years ago if not more.
since then I've made multiple trips of 2500 miles plus all the wheeling and driving in between.
no air leaks, rotate and balance with oil change.
just take care to mount them properly and torque them in cross pattern a little at a time once you feel the tension when it starts to compress the bead.
I think I used 5ft lb increments and yes it took a long ass time

Last edited:

Blackhawkip

At 4.4" of backspacing & 13.5s, u may have wheel spacers in your future if you don't already have them.

I am running 1 1/4" spacers. My King rear bump stops required 4.5" backspacing and my old wheels were AEV with 5.2". I spoke with Drew today and he recommended keeping the spacers I have now. I am sitting at around 3 1/4" so have a wider track. Hopefully I won't run into any issues with excessive wear on the ProSteer ball joints or axle shafts. Time will tell.

Blackhawkip

Thanks for all the replies. Certainly appears to require less maintenance than the instructions say. But then again, those are written by lawyers to keep lawsuit-happy lazy people from suing:grayno:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the replies. Certainly appears to require less maintenance than the instructions say. But then again, those are written by lawyers to keep lawsuit-happy lazy people from suing:grayno:

For sure, what is written in the instructions is to keep lawyers happy but if you install your beadlocks right, you more than likely will never have a bolt come loose. That being said, checking them from time to time isn't such a bad thing.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I checked mine yesterday after 500 miles since the install. 3 wheels took another 1/4 turn of the bolts to get to 25 ft/lbs. The other 2 took 1/2 turn, then I went around 3-4 times, each time the bolt turned a little more. After a few days of driving I'll go back over them again. I don't think they're loosening, I think the new tire beads are settling into the wheels.

Top Bottom