maybe over heating

wanderer

This question is a little bit different than the other overheating issue on this site. Here it is. MY 08 4dr rubicon has 158,000 miles on it. I have 315 70 17 no gearing change so it is a bit down on power but it doesn't bother me. lately though my temp gauge is moving from straight up dead center to the 3/4 mark or a little higher. This occurs when we have hot days in socal like yesterday where I was driving out to alpine and it was 102 and a few weeks ago crossing the desert a long low angled up hill ( temp out side over 100) on the way to flagstaff. Ironically it worked just fine towing a maxed out tow load trailer ( 3500 lbs) over the grapevine in 90 degrees. I also have a supplemental trans cooler.
So my questions are:

1> Is this a problem because I don't ever remember it getting this hot before?

and 2> Since this has the lifetime limited powertrain warranty .... is this the beginning of the end for that motor? How do I get jeep to replace it?

3> I heard that if the value of the jeep is less than the cost to replace the motor they just pay you the jeep value? does the sound right?

WJCO

Meme King
When it does it (minus the towing) is it at lower speeds or highway speeds?

It could be something simple. Don't expect a new motor or new Jeep to come out of this.

Last edited:

jorgelrod

Hooked
My 14 normally runs around 226 and will go as high as 235 on a grade specially at lower speeds, the fan usually goes into overdrive by then and it slowly creeps back to 226. I wouldn't start shopping for a new one just yet...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bierpower

Hooked
This question is a little bit different than the other overheating issue on this site. Here it is. MY 08 4dr rubicon has 158,000 miles on it. I have 315 70 17 no gearing change so it is a bit down on power but it doesn't bother me. lately though my temp gauge is moving from straight up dead center to the 3/4 mark or a little higher. This occurs when we have hot days in socal like yesterday where I was driving out to alpine and it was 102 and a few weeks ago crossing the desert a long low angled up hill ( temp out side over 100) on the way to flagstaff. Ironically it worked just fine towing a maxed out tow load trailer ( 3500 lbs) over the grapevine in 90 degrees. I also have a supplemental trans cooler.
So my questions are:

and 2> Since this has the lifetime limited powertrain warranty .... is this the beginning of the end for that motor? How do I get jeep to replace it?

3> I heard that if the value of the jeep is less than the cost to replace the motor they just pay you the jeep value? does the sound right?
When was the last time you flushed to coolant?

Sent from my SM-P550 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

I agree on the coolant flush, and that you should start with simple things, maybe even a t-stat, as a cause. And the liftime deal is only for the original owner. You may be aware of that though, just thought I'd mention it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wanderer

had a new radiator put in

I had a new radiator ( by the dealer) (under warranty for another that they had previously put in.) put in less than a year ago so I am assuming they replaced the coolant. but maybe not?

JKU Arizona

So my questions are:

I have the same year Jeep as you only in a manual transmission. Do you smell antifreeze at all? I had a small hairline crack once in the thermostat housing and it caused it to overheat slightly (never went over the 3/4 mark). It was hard to see and was under the impression it was the seal. Replaced housing and thermostat while i was there and also my water pump, haven't had an issue since.

You might want to do some preventative maintenance before trading it in for a new Jeep. Try replacing the thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump and do a fluid change. This is all simple stuff and could be done on a Saturday morning.

PT1400

If you don't have one, pick up a cheap invaded temp gun.

Blow out any dirt and grime out of your radiator from the engine side. It may look clean but it won't be.

Drive around until the engine gets to operating temperature. Pull into a parking lot or home and open the hood with the engine still running. Don't hurt yourself. Measure the temperature of the top radiator hose and the bottom radiator hose. Use this simple math. Upper hose temp - lower hose temp = 15°f to 25°F. Bellow 15°f you have either a clogged radiator or a failed water pump. Over 25°f and you have a stuck open thermostat.

Top Bottom