Cv joint repair without removing DS

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
So I finally was able to tackle my cv joint replacement on my front DS this past weekend. For those who are curious you can pull it off without taking the DS off. It's harder but doable. The only reason I didn't take it off was due to the fact that a bolt is rounded on the front of the DS. All that was required for me to reach the necessary components was removing the stock transfer case skid plate and I also removed my cat back for more room although probably not necessary. Took me about 4 hours to do it this way but it beats having grind off that bolt!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Sounds like you had a lot to remove/get out of the way to do this. Why not just fix the rounded off bolt? What happens when you're on the trail and you need to pull the DS because you broke something? Turns a simple 15 minute job into a 2 hour job at that point. Just my :twocents:

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
That's an excellent point and the bolt will be fixed before I hit the trail but I had to replace the cv joint before it damaged the DS. I unfortunately have no experience with rounded off bolts and will have to seek some help on that one. I've tried extractor bits, pb blaster, vice grips. I'm guessing the only other option will be grinding it off and drilling it out. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

WJCO

Meme King
This joint you replaced may fail again if your Jeep is lifted more than 2.5 inches. That Rzeppa joint isn't designed for high angles. You'll likely have to upgrade the drive shaft at some point to a DC U-joint style.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
That's an excellent point and the bolt will be fixed before I hit the trail but I had to replace the cv joint before it damaged the DS. I unfortunately have no experience with rounded off bolts and will have to seek some help on that one. I've tried extractor bits, pb blaster, vice grips. I'm guessing the only other option will be grinding it off and drilling it out. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

I'm sure there are easier ways to do things, but I usually weld a nut onto the bolt and extract out that way. If you break the weld, just weld on another nut and keep going...

Top Bottom