2016 Rubicon JKUHR AEV 2.5

d-dallas

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the Wrangler and have made some decent choices for upgrades.

I need help on a front suspension observation.

I'm running Bilstein 5100's on a AEV 2.5 dual sport lift with geo brackets, aftermarket 17" 4.5 backspaced rims with Toyo AT 285/75/17 Load rate E with 34psi.

My alignment is in range with a slightly off camber of -0.7.

On flat smooth roads the Jeep rides excellently, but if the road gets a little bumpy. The steering is firm with no wobble or play, but the front end seems to sort of jump around in it's track.

I was thinking my 2.5 in bump stops from the AEV lift are slightly to tall.

The measurements between the shock mounts is approx 21.5 with the space of only 4in between the bunpstops.

The space between my tire and my oem fenders is appox 7in.

I'm not sure where to go. Do I need different shocks or just diff bunpstops? Or am I way off track?

Any feedback would be great..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On flat smooth roads the Jeep rides excellently, but if the road gets a little bumpy. The steering is firm with no wobble or play, but the front end seems to sort of jump around in it's track.

Running around off road with 34 psi in your load range E tires will feel terrible and cause what you're feeling. Air them down to about 15 or even 20 psi and it'll feel better.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I had the AEV 4.5" lift on mine and did notice a similar problem. Dropping your tire pressure on the road to around 30 will help soak up some of the road bumps. I blew the seals on two of the bilstein shocks that it came with in 25k, but the jeeps pretty heavy and I run 37s, so I upgraded to the king 2.5 adjustable and could not be happier with all aspects of the ride. I am constantly on dirt roads that are rutted up, for me that destroys more parts than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
My alignment is in range with a slightly off camber of -0.7.

Sounds to me like an issue with caster and/or toe. Take it in for an alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

I did not make my self clear. I was referencing the on road(pavement) characteristics.

Tire pressure plays a large role on road too. A load E tire has a very stiff sidewall, and needs to be ran at a lower air pressure on and off the road to provide good ride quality. I run a D range tire at 26-28lbs and it's still quite firm.

d-dallas

The tire pressure adjustment helped. Thanks for the insight.

I will be doing some flex measurements to see what impact my current bunpstops have on my upwards travel.

Think there's maybe a inch of articulation I can get with current setup.

I am thinking that can get me to 36psi on the pavement.

Am I dreaming?

jknikos

The tire pressure adjustment helped. Thanks for the insight.

I will be doing some flex measurements to see what impact my current bunpstops have on my upwards travel.

Think there's maybe a inch of articulation I can get with current setup.

I am thinking that can get me to 36psi on the pavement.

Am I dreaming?

Even with your tire size not being extreme I wouldn't run anything more than 30 psi. I run 28 in pavement and 15 off road.

WJCO

Meme King
Your pavement pressure can be checked with chalk. Rub a large chalk section all the way across the tread. Drive the vehicle 50 ft or so, back up 50 ft, then get out and look at the pattern. The chalk should be evenly worn off. If there's some left on the edges, the pressure is too high. 29-30 works well for both of our Jeeps on the road. Driving on the highway, the tires will be warmer so pressure will naturally go up, take that into consideration as well. If you really want to get technical, as weather(temperature) changes, you may have to adjust your pressure as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Looks like I'm late to the party but it sounds like you've been pointed in the right direction. :yup:

Top Bottom