How hard to unlift a CJ7

GraniteCrystal

Looking at a bunch of used CJ7s. Lots have a lift kit on them. Anywhere from 2.5"-6". I want mine stock height.

How much of a pain is it to unlift it? I'd need to find stock leaf springs. What else? Just more hassle than it's worth?

Jaybird 11

Caught the Bug
It wouldnt to that hard. You could try to find a guy with stock springs and trade him for the lift. 2.5 lift realy isnt that much over stock. You just have to swap springs and pitman arm. Maybe swaybar links.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Looking at a bunch of used CJ7s. Lots have a lift kit on them. Anywhere from 2.5"-6". I want mine stock height.

How much of a pain is it to unlift it? I'd need to find stock leaf springs. What else? Just more hassle than it's worth?

If it is just a suspension lift, most stuff would be easy.

Most likely things:

Springs
Shackles
Driveshafts
Shocks
Axle U bolts if blocks are involved
Brake lines

Less likely:

Axle perches (if they were altered for pinion correction, or switched to a spring over)
Remove whatever t-case adjustments were made to clock the front drive shaft, tcase drop, etc

Body lifts were more of a thing back when CJ's were more popular, undoing those could get complicated.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Piece of cake. Personally, I would hook up with a place like Omix-ada and get new parts for springs and bushings, u-bolts etc., they aren't expensive. Go aftermarket for shocks. Avoid anything that has had a shackle reversal or spring over done to it. That's more of a pain to return to stock especially if it was welded. There are too many good starter jeeps out there to be had rather than get something that's too much of a project. Cj's were spring under, so you shouldn't see blocks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom