Synthetic vs. Steel Winch Line Cable

tkuntz

I am looking to get a new winch, probably with a pulling capacity of at least 10,000lbs. Does anyone have any suggestions on which winch to use and run either synthetic or steel cable? I live in Southwest Florida if that helps. I thought that climate might effect both. Also, why you would choose either one would be helpful. Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am looking to get a new winch, probably with a pulling capacity of at least 10,000lbs. Does anyone have any suggestions on which winch to use and run either synthetic or steel cable? I live in Southwest Florida if that helps. I thought that climate might effect both. Also, why you would choose either one would be helpful. Thanks.

warn now offers a line of winches that come with synth line. i've run other winches in the past but only run warn now as they have always proven themselves to be reliable and durable. and, in the one instance that i did have some issues with an early model powerplant, they were quick to take care of me by sending out a new $300 part that i knew i broke and told them as much and they did all this even before they knew who i was.

regarding winch line, masterpull makes a nice line and so does viking. i run the later on both my jeeps now and with a safety thimble. synth won't rust, won't hurt anyone if it breaks, floats and are nice on the hands. i highly recommend paying the extra money for one.

tkuntz

warn now offers a line of winches that come with synth line. i've run other winches in the past but only run warn now as they have always proven themselves to be reliable and durable. and, in the one instance that i did have some issues with an early model powerplant, they were quick to take care of me by sending out a new $300 part that i knew i broke and told them as much and they did all this even before they knew who i was.

regarding winch line, masterpull makes a nice line and so does viking. i run the later on both my jeeps now and with a safety thimble. synth won't rust, won't hurt anyone if it breaks, floats and are nice on the hands. i highly recommend paying the extra money for one.

I was trying to stay on the cheaper side, around $600 or less. However, would you suggest just saving a bit for a genuine Warn winch? I would love to run the Warn PowerPlant. Also, what do you know about Spydura Synthetic Winch Line? I have heard great things about Viking. Thanks for the feedback, it is really appreciated.

nacho

I have had warn in the past and always very happy. I currently have a smittybuilt h20 10k lbs. so far very happy with it. Time will tell on longevity.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
tkuntz said:
However, would you suggest just saving a bit for a genuine Warn winch?

Its always better to save and get a better recommended brand than to buy a cheap one just to have it now, then it break and end up spending more in the long run. :yup:

Last edited:

2acrawl

Suspended
How can you beat no gloves and throwing line out and not busting windshields or taking heads off. Plus it takes weight off your jeep. I luv my synthetic line and I ran the cable for several years.

Indefatigable

It all depends on what you need out of it and the conditions you are in.

Primary complaints about steel all boil down to operator and maintenance. so YMMV

I am in the NW and its wet, muddy, wood and rocks. Its hard on cable. Especially synthetic. Dragging it through the junk.

I have dozens of winches in my club and we run a variety of steel and synthetic. 3/8 of either lasts much longer than 5/16 of same. Wearing gloves is required for both. The crap that synth can pick up can hurt just as much as a steel sliver.

Synthetic is safer at failure than steel, only because it has less mass. I have seen it break under load, yes it springs back. But less mass means less impact. Never seen one fail where it tore something off thus making it a projectile, but figure it ain't good.

We go through alot more synthetic than steel. With regular maintenance we are able to see the bad spots in steel much easier than synthetic and we replace. But the synth wears out much faster. Yes you can splice synth back together, but can be a PITA for those without the tools or abilities.

Know yourself. Know your maintenance habits. Know your and your friends usage habits.
Decide from there.

I keep thinking about going synth, but my steel cable has been good to me. Had it 7 or 8 years now and its still in great shape.

Weight? LMAO. My LJ weighs in at ~5500lbs loaded when I head out on a camping trip. 8274, armour and safari fuel tank. A few lbs extra of weight is really not noticable!

In5ane1

Synthetic vs steel line

Is synthetic winch line a no brainer to buy with winch?

Is it always better than steel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

pvanweelden

not always- if it rubs enough against rocks, synthetic can get frayed and break. but it is repairable by rethreading it back into itself like a chinese finger trap.
It coils back onto the winch much easier :thumb:

jeffd

quality synthetic rope is expensive tho. I would only use better quality rope and it cost as much as some winches cost.

Serg5000

I am a fan of the steel cable. As with anything else. If you mitigate the hazard you can be as safe as using anything else. I have used steel for many years. And I continue to do so. It can also be repaired if it breaks. Folks just don't know how or care to. I don't blame them. Now that everyone is sold on synthetic being the next best thing since sliced bread. You can score a brand new cable for next to nothing. If not for free. Winches have been using steel for long before synthetic rope came out. I guess it's just the new hot item. And yes I realize its weighs less. Hardly a selling point for me.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I am a fan of the steel cable. As with anything else. If you mitigate the hazard you can be as safe as using anything else. I have used steel for many years. And I continue to do so. It can also be repaired if it breaks. Folks just don't know how or care to. I don't blame them. Now that everyone is sold on synthetic being the next best thing since sliced bread. You can score a brand new cable for next to nothing. If not for free. Winches have been using steel for long before synthetic rope came out. I guess it's just the new hot item. And yes I realize its weighs less. Hardly a selling point for me.

I'm with serg I run a steel cable. Yes it weighs more but who cares, let's say it's helps lower my center of gravity lol. Plus like he said its cheaper to replace if something does break.

All in all is totally up to you. In my mind the pros and cons for both equal out to be the same. Just a matter of preference

Sent from my iPhone

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've done a lot of really hard recoveries and have even seen winch lines break - I stand by synthetic 100%. When it comes to safety, I'll gladly pay the extra coin. Synth is lighter, floats, won't splinter and most importantly, won't hurt anyone if it breaks. Steel rope is heavy, it rusts, will crush and splinter under heavy pulls, it sinks and can seriously injure someone or worse if it breaks. But hey, that's just me.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I've done a lot of really hard recoveries and have even seen winch lines break - I stand by synthetic 100%. When it comes to safety, I'll gladly pay the extra coin. Synth is lighter, floats, won't splinter and most importantly, won't hurt anyone if it breaks. Steel rope is heavy, it rusts, will crush and splinter under heavy pulls, it sinks and can seriously injure someone or worse if it breaks. But hey, that's just me.

Sold!!!!!!

JAGS

Hooked
Synth line can also be repaired. There is a special type of threading and rebraiding you can do to splice two ends together. There's several vids explaining.

Yes, steel has been around forever. But I think modern tech has made synth the way to go. Ill be going synth once I order my winch.

- Jason

JAGS

Hooked

And all this too. Good points made here.

- Jason

David1tontj

I've run both... The main reason I like synthetic is because it doesn't get damaged when it runs itself over on the spool.. When I had steel, I winched sideways and it kinked the steel. Later that day I had flopped on my side and while winching myself upright, my cable snapped at that weak point, and I dropped back onto my side...

I replaced it with synthetic because I was pissed.. This was about 9-10 years ago, and I've been running the same winch rope ever since.. I broke the rope about 2 years ago and just shortened it.. Just like they said, Chinese finger trap and it's all better..

I know that tow trucks and cranes use cable, and that works for them, because the cable never has a chance to run itself over on the spool, but with off-roading, you almost never have a perfectly straight pull- putting you at risk of kinking your cable on the spool... Not to mention it is a lot easier to keep a tight spool of rope- not so with wire.

Also don't need gloves with rope, and one of my favorite things about rope- you can spool off a bunch and throw it to your spotter... This is just cool..

At the end of the day, I would not think any less of a winch with wire on it, as long as you are aware of its weaknesses and use care when working with it...

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Last edited:
Top Bottom