Hey guys ..Pinion nut question?

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Replacing the front drive shaft with a JE Reel 1350. I can't get the axle pinion nut to back out. Bought a pretty cheap Craftsman impact gun. Says it has 400lbs of force. Tried breaker bar even tried using the jack on the breaker bar and no luck. Any wisdom out there? Thanks for help

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Replacing the front drive shaft with a JE Reel 1350. I can't get the axle pinion nut to back out. Bought a pretty cheap Craftsman impact gun. Says it has 400lbs of force. Tried breaker bar even tried using the jack on the breaker bar and no luck. Any wisdom out there? Thanks for help

Usually the listed foot pounds is in forward. You would need one with that much pressure in reverse.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

How big of a compressor do you have your impact gun attached to? You'll only get that 400 ft. lbs. of torque if you have the right amount of psi and cfm.

That being said, you should be able to remove that nut with a breaker bar. If needed, put a pipe on it to give you more leverage.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea I knew you were going to ask that. It's only a 2 gallon tank. Haha I'll give it another try with some leverage. Thanks Eddie.

yep, no way that's gonna give you the 400 ft. lbs. of torque. If you plan on using air tools more, you really should be looking at a 25 gal or bigger compressor.

JeepJeep75

When I took my front pinion nut off it was an exercise in patience and frustration. I used a cheap breaker bar and a floor jack pushing up on it. The breaker bar was bending pretty good but finally the nut broke loose.

If you really want a good impact tool, look no further than this: IMG_6483.jpg It says it has 1,200 or so footpounds of nut-busting torque. I ABSOLUTELY believe it does. When I opened this bad-boy up, the first thing I tried was busting loose a trailer hitch-ball. 3 chacunkas and it was loose! The nut was hot too! Lots of powah in this thing. I've heard rumors it'll remove lugs off of a semi-tractor. [emoji106] I wish I had this for that pinion nut when I did mine. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Just curious, is it front or rear you're trying to get loose? If it's rear set the park brake it'll help. If you have a front locker I engaged mine and put a 2x4 on the brake pedal to compress it. It helps a little with resistance. And I second the Milwaukee impact.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
When I took my front pinion nut off it was an exercise in patience and frustration. I used a cheap breaker bar and a floor jack pushing up on it. The breaker bar was bending pretty good but finally the nut broke loose.

If you really want a good impact tool, look no further than this: View attachment 265890 It says it has 1,200 or so footpounds of nut-busting torque. I ABSOLUTELY believe it does. When I opened this bad-boy up, the first thing I tried was busting loose a trailer hitch-ball. 3 chacunkas and it was loose! The nut was hot too! Lots of powah in this thing. I've heard rumors it'll remove lugs off of a semi-tractor. [emoji106] I wish I had this for that pinion nut when I did mine. [emoji51]

This is what I have. I freaking love it. I believe everything you just said about it. I did my research before I bought this impact. [emoji106] it really does have some major cohones

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

If you really want a good impact tool, look no further than this: View attachment 265890 It says it has 1,200 or so footpounds of nut-busting torque. I ABSOLUTELY believe it does. When I opened this bad-boy up, the first thing I tried was busting loose a trailer hitch-ball. 3 chacunkas and it was loose! The nut was hot too! Lots of powah in this thing. I've heard rumors it'll remove lugs off of a semi-tractor. [emoji106] I wish I had this for that pinion nut when I did mine. [emoji51]

This is what I have. I freaking love it. I believe everything you just said about it. I did my research before I bought this impact. [emoji106] it really does have some major cohones

Ditto! Worth every penny! :thumb:

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Allow your breaker bar to rest against the frame of the jeep or another secure place under jeep depending on length. Then either carefully and slowly drive jeep forward or back depending on the direction of rotation you need. Shade tree method but works. Just go slow.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Allow your breaker bar to rest against the frame of the jeep or another secure place under jeep depending on length. Then either carefully and slowly drive jeep forward or back depending on the direction of rotation you need. Shade tree method but works. Just go slow.

That's a good Idea actually, I would be terrified to do it though.

J

JKDream

Ditto! Worth every penny! :thumb:

x4!

I bought the new mid-torque a couple of months ago, great investment.
I haven't found a single fastener that it wouldn't take off yet.
Super compact as well.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Sorry for the late "Thank You"

Wow I didn't realize how much support you guy's had posted. Thanks to all... I have to figure the site out a little better. (Update) I did manage to break it free with help from my son's $700 snap-on cordless impact gun. The one I gave him shit about buying. That little sucker has some power. I'll be buying the Milwaukee. Thanks again

Top Bottom