Torsen or locker

Joe.G

I'm starting to build up my axles, sleeves, trusses ,gussets and Chromoly shafts. My question is: I don't do any heavy wheeling and I'm running 35's but plan on going to 37's. Will a Torsen style ddifferential work or should I go with a electric or air locker.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I had to look up torsen differentials. Pretty cool idea. Just never heard of one used in a Jeep. Not sure how cost effective they are.

BobNH

Sounds a whole lot like a trutrac, which I had front and rear in my tj, and they worked awesome. You only have to remember that if you get a wheel fully in the air you need to apply a bit of brake to get the one on the ground to hook up, which also sounds the same as a torsen. Can either stand up to 37" tires? No idea.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Joe.G

Sounds a whole lot like a trutrac, which I had front and rear in my tj, and they worked awesome. You only have to remember that if you get a wheel fully in the air you need to apply a bit of brake to get the one on the ground to hook up, which also sounds the same as a torsen. Can either stand up to 37" tires? No idea.

They are a newer version of the trutrac.
Thanks for the input. I sent an email to the company to see if they recommend these for bigger tires. Other sites say they don't work well with tires over 33"

jpone

From my understanding the Truetrac is a torsion type differential. Torsion is the generic name for helical gear differentials, which the Truetrac is. I've been using a Truetrac with 35 inch tires and have not had any concerns so far. If you dont plan on tackling terrain that requires a manual locking differential, you are probably going to be in good shape. NOT saying it's great because it's the one I have. Only that I have not had any concerns so far . . . .

Last edited:

A.J.

I'm starting to build up my axles, sleeves, trusses ,gussets and Chromoly shafts. My question is: I don't do any heavy wheeling and I'm running 35's but plan on going to 37's. Will a Torsen style ddifferential work or should I go with a electric or air locker.

I have run the true trac in other vehicles and they work pretty good. It is a Torsen helical gear limited slip. In my opinion I would recommend a selectable locker at least for the rear. Limited slips are not that much of an improvement over factory traction control in my opinion and with the locker you have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

They are a newer version of the trutrac.
Thanks for the input. I sent an email to the company to see if they recommend these for bigger tires. Other sites say they don't work well with tires over 33"

If it helps, I saw on another forum that dynatrac responded to a similar question re tire size and their trutrac axles, and noted the new information puts the trutrac okay to 38" tires. I can't verify they truly were the dynatrac rep respinding though.
Good luck wither path you choose, these types are certainly far and away better than the clutch driven lsd, imo at least.

Joe.G

Thanks for all of the input. So if my research is right, the helical locker does the same thing my traction control does. When one wheel goes into the air, tap the brakes and power is put to the other wheel, correct? If so then I'll be going with a selectable.

ADA OZ

Right, wrong or indifferent I have TruTracs or helical lockers. They have yet to fail me. They are not true lockers but will turn all four will when needed.

I disagree with the thought that 'they do the same as traction control'.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ADA OZ

Right, wrong or indifferent I have TruTracs or helical lockers. They have yet to fail me. They are not true lockers but will turn all four will when needed.

I disagree with the thought that 'they do the same as traction control'.

Ps I'm on 37s and 'tackle terrain' that is sounds like you won't see. TruTracs for the win. IMG_3344.JPG

Joe.G

Ps I'm on 37s and 'tackle terrain' that is sounds like you won't see. TruTracs for the win. View attachment 266810

Where do you wheel at? Closest for me is Hard Rock off-road park in Ocala
Thanks, I just talked to my guy at the off road parts store and he said the same thing you did. He ran them with 37's for years.

Joe.G

Well a company rep emailed me back and said that the Torsen brand wouldn't be a good fit for my JKU. So I guess it's either a selectable or true tract

ADA OZ

Selectables are nice. Selectables are exspensive and some times can require further equipment to work. ARB air lockers need a compressor. If you have or want one of these in the future well maybe that's the way to go. With that said, you can almost purchase both front and rear TruTracs for the price of one selectable with nothing further to purchase and are fairly easy to install.

Joe.G

Selectables are nice. Selectables are exspensive and some times can require further equipment to work. ARB air lockers need a compressor. If you have or want one of these in the future well maybe that's the way to go. With that said, you can almost purchase both front and rear TruTracs for the price of one selectable with nothing further to purchase and are fairly easy to install.

This is true. Well I got till the end of August to make my mind up.

BobNH

This is true. Well I got till the end of August to make my mind up.

These about sum it up. I loved the trutracs in my TJ. If you are into basic and moderate wheeling, they will meet nearly all your expectations. Of course selectable is better, but more expensive. By a lot. Though a good compressor and you can use it for tires and such as well. Or OX and go hand cable. I considered this for my front but ultimately knew my needs would not match the cost, I had a winch. I really didn't need to spend all that money just to hear it go "snick" ;)

Dwats350

Background
2012 Jeep JKU Sahara Auto Daily Driver
3.5 inch Rubicon Express Sport Suspension
Rubicon Express Swaybar Links
Nitto Ridge Grappler 295-70R18
Front Mopar steel Bumper
Rear Havoc Gen 2 steel bumper
Ace Engineering Rock Sliders
Smittybilt Gen 2 X20 Winch
EBC Drilled & Slotted Rotors

I’m looking to upgrade my gears to 4:56 and differential. I’ve been set on Eaton E-Lockers but after hours, days and weeks of reading I’m now considering Eaton Trutrac LSD. Last weekend I was able to finally get my build out on the trails here in Ohio. My setup had no problem doing the trails with the exception of the damn near vertical hill that I knew it wouldn’t do. Im not going to lie I was surprised with its performance. Now I’m not sure I need E-Lockers. I don’t plan to be crawling boulders but I would like to make it out west to Moab or The Rubicon at some point. I keep reading but it’s back and forth about what you actually need to do these trails. I don’t want to have to open the differentials for a second time if the Trutrac don’t perform well enough but I also don’t know how often I will engage the E-Lockers here on the east coast. Long story short I don’t want to be disappointed in the Trutrac but I don’t want to be disappointed that I paid for E-Lockers and rarely use them. I know the pros and cons of both. I just would like to hear from riders who have actual experience with both on trails. Any input would be appreciated.

Top Bottom