Maximum cooling diff cover

Desertman

Hi. I don't have many rocks here in the desert so I am looking at covers for Dana 44 that can provide the maximum cooling and still maintain a good rigid axle. Any idea?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

kawimoto

dana spicer offers an aluminum finned cover as does rugged ridge, either would be fine to help release the temp instead of holding it in like a thick 3/8 plate steel cover. most all of the nodular iron covers are also going to retain heat

kawimoto

if your worried about gears, just run a heavier grade of oil to help manage the heat. the higher grade or towing grade oils are used in low gearsets also. im running 85-140 Valvoline in my rearend with 5.13 gears. the thermal breakdown of the oil is much better and it will get you more life out of the gearset

Zstairlessone

if your worried about gears, just run a heavier grade of oil to help manage the heat. the higher grade or towing grade oils are used in low gearsets also. im running 85-140 Valvoline in my rearend with 5.13 gears. the thermal breakdown of the oil is much better and it will get you more life out of the gearset

Thicker oils produce more heat, sometimes they are necessary for protection, but if you have temperature issues in gearboxes (even diffs) cooling is the answer. If you are worried about lube issues in your diffs get an oil with good EP additives

kawimoto

Thicker oils produce more heat, sometimes they are necessary for protection, but if you have temperature issues in gearboxes (even diffs) cooling is the answer. If you are worried about lube issues in your diffs get an oil with good EP additives

produce more heat yes but also don't breakdown under the same loads . im not saying he should run what I run only that one grade heavier would help out in protecting the life of his gearset. It would take a lot of airflow to really pull any heat out of that diff, skeptical on the finned covers. truly I think the best protection is consistent fluid changes over any part that could be ran or purchased.

WJCO

Meme King
Is your diff overheating now? Or did you just see something appealing on the internet? I've never seen a single finned cover on a Jeep, even with people running really high gears and haven't seen an overheat unless fluid is low. IMO it's not necessary, but I don't live where you live, maybe I'm missing something.

Andy5160

Hooked
Is your diff overheating now? Or did you just see something appealing on the internet? I've never seen a single finned cover on a Jeep, even with people running really high gears and haven't seen an overheat unless fluid is low. IMO it's not necessary, but I don't live where you live, maybe I'm missing something.

I do sense an Internet factor. To the OP, what is the actual reason behind the question?

Desertman

It's hot here and I mean hot. I have had daytime temperatures of 55c (131f). So anything I can do to help I wish to do. Jeeps and dare I say Toyota FJ are the only thing that handle the heat. The trucks that drive with us Gmc serria and dodge ram suffer quite bad from the heat.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
It's hot here and I mean hot. I have had daytime temperatures of 55c (131f). So anything I can do to help I wish to do. Jeeps and dare I say Toyota FJ are the only thing that handle the heat. The trucks that drive with us Gmc serria and dodge ram suffer quite bad from the heat.

I'd call that reason enough to get a finned/head dispersing diff cover.

holliewood61

My question is with ambient temps around 130 how much will a finned cover even help? Ive never put a thermometer on a diff, but i cant imagine they get much hotter than that under normal use. Sure a finned cover would help dissipate heat if the fluid was 130 and the ambient temp was 75, but with it being so hot will you really benefit much?

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom