Talked me out of it.

DK'sJK

So I was looking at the RE 2.5 lift with springs and shocks. After reading a bit last night about the bushings on the control arms have me discouraged. My budget currently allows for a spring lift and shocks, but would want to upgrade the control arms in the future.

I would like to stay at 2.5 inches as I have a 4 door Rubi. Everyone will have their own opinions and I don't mind hearing them all. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

I was looking into Rancho, but wanted to steer away from red. Weird reason I know, but wanted to do a black and yellow theme.

I am looking to install it myself and wanted to stay below $900 if possible.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Have you looked at the TF 2.5 with shocks? I've heard alot of good things about that lift. It would fit your budget and color scheme.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I didn't even know that the RE 2.5" kit came with control arms :idontknow:
If they do, the problem RE had with bushings was mostly isolated to their long arm kits and that was more a problem with it being a radius arm design than anything.

As mentioned, the TF BB is a good kit and one that I have run before.

DK'sJK

The RE 2.5 does not come with the control arms but something I would have upgraded later. I have looked at TF but which would be better the BB or the spring lift? I wouldn't mind extra travel.

rinkishjk

Your always better using the correct spring length vs spacers.
I am running hd ome springs with 2" spacers all around.. When I get coin I will buy 4" springs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The RE 2.5 does not come with the control arms but something I would have upgraded later. I have looked at TF but which would be better the BB or the spring lift? I wouldn't mind extra travel.

If you don't trust the RE arms, no reason why you couldn't use any other aftermarket control arms. The TF spring lift will give you over 3" of lift and, if you have 2-door, you will NEED to get a new rear drive shaft with it sooner than later along with rear adjustable control arms to set your pinion. If you have an 07-11 automatic, you will need to get a new front shaft. If you have a 2012 or newer JK, you will need to get a new front shaft. If you stick with a 2.5" coil spacer setup and run shock extensions or shocks that are short enough, you will not need to address your drive shafts.

DK'sJK

Thanks for all the good information. Just too many choices I guess. Can't make up my mind.

Now I am looking at a TF BB with extensions. That'll get me $400 closer to new tires.

On the flip side I will want to upgrade later. With the spring lift I feel like I won't be blowing $350 on parts I may not be able to upgrade.

TheDuff

On the contrary, with the spring lift you will be throwing away money if you plan to upgrade! Most likely you'll want larger tires later, so the springs become useless. Then you'll need longer shocks again and the sway bar links will be too short. With a BB you will save a lot of $$ now and can collect pieces towards a better lift as you go. Like get your arms, track bars, adjustable sway bar links, ect. Till you have in mind where you want to take your rig next and then purchase the appropriate size spring/shocks/drive shafts. Its the way I wish I would have gone:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

DK'sJK

On the contrary, with the spring lift you will be throwing away money if you plan to upgrade! Most likely you'll want larger tires later, so the springs become useless. Then you'll need longer shocks again and the sway bar links will be too short. With a BB you will save a lot of $$ now and can collect pieces towards a better lift as you go. Like get your arms, track bars, adjustable sway bar links, ect. Till you have in mind where you want to take your rig next and then purchase the appropriate size spring/shocks/drive shafts. Its the way I wish I would have gone:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

I don't really have any desire to go over 2.5 inches in lift. But what you are telling me is that if I go with any spring lift, be it TF, RE or what ever, I could not use the springs if I wanted to up grade the control arms or track bar or even bigger tires? That doesn't make sense to me. I'm looking at going to 33's for now but yeah I'll move up to 35's later. Can you explain?

TheDuff

I don't really have any desire to go over 2.5 inches in lift. But what you are telling me is that if I go with any spring lift, be it TF, RE or what ever, I could not use the springs if I wanted to up grade the control arms or track bar or even bigger tires? That doesn't make sense to me. I'm looking at going to 33's for now but yeah I'll move up to 35's later. Can you explain?
maybe the way I worded it is misleading. Im not saying you cant add stuff to the coil lift. what I meant was, if (most likely when) you want to move up to a higher lift, everything that was in the coil lift becomes a waste.

I have a tf 2.5 coil lift. it isnt 2.5 inches on my jeep as it sits, its probably closer to 3- 3.25. maybe if i had heavy bumpers and tire carrier ect it would be 2.5... but any ways its more that what was needed to use my 33's or even 35's for that matter. now im stuck needing a front drive shaft, really should be getting longer front brake lines, need track bars to recenter axles, should probably get control arms to get rid of the flighty steering... and the list goes on. im just trying to give you some advice that came from recent experience. if your on a budget get a BB, then collect all the other stuff so your ready to buy the lift you really want when the time comes :thumb: no sense in buying twice!

RamP

Couldn't agree more Brandon. I've been doing a lot of research lately. And while my end result is a Coilover set up on 35's with all adjustable arms and track bars, getting a BB and spacers first will allow me to get the tire size I want immediately. Then I can save up for the rest
At least I will be on 35's and the jeep will perform without drive ability issues.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just FYI, Rancho kits are usually black. You have to specify red.

This is correct, they come in black unless otherwise specified. And, if you're still interested, they really are nice kits that'll get you what you want for cheap.

Couldn't agree more Brandon. I've been doing a lot of research lately. And while my end result is a Coilover set up on 35's with all adjustable arms and track bars, getting a BB and spacers first will allow me to get the tire size I want immediately. Then I can save up for the rest
At least I will be on 35's and the jeep will perform without drive ability issues.

For guys like you, starting off with a BB is definitely a great stepping stone.

DK'sJK

If I am looking at doing a BB how much of a difference is the ride, both on and off rode, with extensions vs shocks? Also I wanted to look at leveling the jeep off as I have a winch and aftermarket bumper.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I am looking at doing a BB how much of a difference is the ride, both on and off rode, with extensions vs shocks? Also I wanted to look at leveling the jeep off as I have a winch and aftermarket bumper.

If you run it with factory shocks and extenders, you shouldn't feel any difference in your ride. If you install new shocks, your ride will be effected by how they are valved. In my opinion, old school hydro shocks will make your ride worse and modern monotubes will make it ride better.

DK'sJK

What I may do is take y'all's advise and go with the BB with extensions. Can I do a leveling kit with that?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What I may do is take y'all's advise and go with the BB with extensions. Can I do a leveling kit with that?

Not exactly but, what you can do is stack 1/2" spacers on top of your BB spacers up front. That will level you out. If you have a heavy bumper and winch, a 3/4" spacer might be what you want but really, I've never seen a need for anything more.

Top Bottom