2016 Engine Tick?

SaskJeeps

Jeep ticks like a clock when the operating temp gets warm. What gives I thought Chrysler resolved this issue? I use 5w-20 oil and she only has 9800kms on her. Really turning me off jeeps with the amount of shit going wrong in the first year of ownership. Also the dealership said it was "normal". Is this normal? Am i losing my mind? Is my oil type affecting this? https://youtu.be/ZyZWapLWrII

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

SaskJeeps

Mopar oil filter, I take my jeep to the dealership for oil changes.

10abadilla/jk

Mopar oil filter, I take my jeep to the dealership for oil changes.

Ok that eliminates the concern I had. Stick with the mopar oil filter. I would say as loud as it's ticking its not normal. But it's hard to determine from the video Depending on how hot is where you live I would say try using a thicker viscosity oil. Also maybe take it to a different dealer and get a second opinion. In many cases I've seen most dealers won't do anything until it throws a code or shows significant signs of an issue. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
That sounds like the tick I had in my 2014. Turned out to be a cracked head in cylinder #2. I didn't think much of it until my check engine light came on. It was repaired under warranty.

SaskJeeps

Could you take a video of your 2016 running? My tick is really noticeable when going in a drive through or at idle.

jagrubb99

I have to tick as well on my 2014. Only at the startup though for like 3 seconds and then it goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
From what I understand that is pretty normal. My 2015 does it if it has been sitting for a while. I think it is just the lifters and/or valves ticking until oil pressure builds. I could be wrong though.

mikem0141

Hard to tell from the video mine had the tick until I played in the snow at high rpms then came the code cylinders replaced under warranty, but these things do sound like Russian tractors normally so don't fret until you feel a noticeable power loss you'll have thrown a code then.

kawimoto

Run 5w30 for sure, it'll help it, I had this issue as well. I actually rebuilt the driver side head , lifters were worn out an mopar has a new part number for them to fix the old units. Something to think about

WJCO

Meme King
Sounds to me like the normal opening and closing of the fuel injectors. Next time the noise occurs, put your finger on the fuel injectors and see if you can feel the same pattern of the noise. I didn't really hear anything else.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Sounds to me like the normal opening and closing of the fuel injectors. Next time the noise occurs, put your finger on the fuel injectors and see if you can feel the same pattern of the noise. I didn't really hear anything else.

Couldn't of said it better!

Top Bottom