Rear drive shaft rubbing on the gas tank skid.

Psr76

Anybody have issues with rear drive shaft rubbing on the gas tank skid? I have 1350 drive shaft and if the rear passenger tie gets stuffed with drivers at full droop shaft rubs. Axle is centered. I added bump stop spacer and it stopped but have no up travel. Any suggestions?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can either pound your gas tank in at the point of contact with a big hammer or, purposefully off set your axle. Or, if you haven't done so already, you can try switching your pinion flange out for a yoke. That'll slim things down there.

Psr76

Thanks for the info. I will try the big hammer, how much room do you think I have between the skid and tank?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. I will try the big hammer, how much room do you think I have between the skid and tank?

Typically, where it hits is right by a divot in the gas tank and there's a lot of room to play with right there.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Yep, with my coilovers my OEM rear shaft yoke was digging into the gas tank skid exactly where Eddie described. Gonna pound on mine some too, although I think the Rubicon run last summer dug in far enough to eliminate the problem! Also have my front shaft hitting 3 places until I added a 1/2" more bumpstop!
:thumb::beer:

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Psr76 said:
Anybody have issues with rear drive shaft rubbing on the gas tank skid? I have 1350 drive shaft and if the rear passenger tie gets stuffed with drivers at full droop shaft rubs. Axle is centered. I added bump stop spacer and it stopped but have no up travel. Any suggestions?

I have the same problem and with a 1350. I cheated my axel over about .25inchs. It seem to drive the same on the road. I haven't checked yet to see if it corrected it or not. Might need a BFH though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the same problem and with a 1350. I cheated my axel over about .25inchs. It seem to drive the same on the road. I haven't checked yet to see if it corrected it or not. Might need a BFH though.

Yeah, moving your axle over a bit won't effect a thing. If you think about it, your axle moves from one side to the other all the time.

1BAMFR

I have the same issue too, i'm running a stock driveshaft and stock gastank skid.

When I hit the tank skid on a rock it bends it and pushes it over into the spinning driveshaft.

I now carry a crow-bar...when it rubs, i get under there and pry the shit out of it and it bends back enough to where it doesnt rub anymore.

The hammer didnt work for me...no leverage and not alot of "swinging" room.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The hammer didnt work for me...no leverage and not alot of "swinging" room.

It helps to pull the shaft off and then use a 3 lb hammer. Having said that, you shouldn't have this problem with a stock drive shaft. If you do, your axle is off center.

1BAMFR

It helps to pull the shaft off and then use a 3 lb hammer. Having said that, you shouldn't have this problem with a stock drive shaft. If you do, your axle is off center.

Hell yeah, if I pulled the DS off, thats definitely the way to go, swing for the fences!

Usually i'm on a trail and dont have the efforts to disconnect.

I think its my skid plate thats pushed over into the DS.

How would I fix an off centered axle?

1BAMFR

Hey Eddie, off topic quick question...i cracked the orange boot that surrounds the end of my RCV axle, how big of an issue is this?

Is this a part that needs attention asap?

1BAMFR

I seriously doubt that it could be pushed out enough to make contact with a factory DS.

You would need to install a track bar relocation bracket and/or an adjustable track bar.

Hmmmmm, thanks for the info. Bro, going to check it out tomorrow!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie, off topic quick question...i cracked the orange boot that surrounds the end of my RCV axle, how big of an issue is this?

The orange boot is the only thing that keeps the grease inside. If it's compromised, the grease will sling out and you will fry your bearings. Need I say, it's pretty big of an issue and you should have it addressed as soon as possible.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug

Call RCV and they will send you another one. I would do it in a hurry and not drive too much.

1BAMFR

Call RCV and they will send you another one. I would do it in a hurry and not drive too much.

Thanks guys! I drove it home from the Offroad park, noticed it when I got home...havent driven it since...I'm going to drop it off at the shop to have it taken care of.

Appreciate the knowledge...

Top Bottom